Thread: Change of Circumstances Reporting

Post Change of Circumstances Reporting

Hi, I currently live alone and receive, HB, CT and ESA (IR). I am in the Support Group of ESA and due to low income also receive EDP. I am considering re-uniting with my ex-husband and wanted to know how it would affect my income and how I go about informing the relevant departments.

My ex-husband is over 55 - he currently receives ESA (CB) and is in the Support Group. He was migrated from IB some years ago apparently and was automatically transferred from IB to ESA. I don't understand why he isn't entitled to ESA (IR) as he has no fixed assets or capital and only form of income is his benefit. He is currently lodging with a friend and therefore does not have to claim HB or CT.

Can you please advise what our joint entitlement income would be if we start living together again? If and when you report a change in circumstances to the Council and DPW - do they freeze your claims and not pay anything until they have reviewed all the information? If so, how long does this process usually take? Neither of us have any savings. There is no way either of us could manage if my rent and council tax were not paid and no ESA payments made. Would a joint claim be classed as a new claim and therefore would the benefit be changed to Universal Credit?

I suffer from various ailments and anxiety is one of them so I cannot help but worrying about how we would be left financially as getting into arrears with rent and having no ESA payments would detrimentally affect the health of both of us.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thank you.

First thing is you would have to claim as a couple
    Im unsure of what other processes come next but im sure someone will be along shortly to explain it in a bit more detail

Thank you Curvingcookie. I look forward to hopefully seeing some more replies with more details.

You would have to claim as a couple, which means one of your claims would have to close.

As your partners ESA is Contribution Based then you should be best closing your IR claim and being added to his CB claim.
    On it's own that would not trigger a migration to UC.
    The same should apply to HB, as long as you don't make a brand new HB claim it should not migrate to UC.
    CT stays outside of UC.

It does also sound as if he might not have been assessed for IR ESA when he transfered from IB.
    This is a known problem (scandal) and they are supposedly looking at all transfers again, and backpaying where they made the mistake.
    (They are currently trying to wrangle out of paying the full amount of backpay using a complicated legal argument, but we knowof people who have been backpaid to 2010/2011).

As to what you could expect to receive when living as a couple then I suggest that you use one of the online benefit calculators as a start.
    Fill it in as if you were living together (put in the benefits you are each receiving now) and it will tell you what you should be claiming as a couple.

Try this one: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/?utm_so...campaign=GovUK
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-08-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you so much Nukecad for the advice. He is having lots of health problems at the moment and is under two different consultants and undergoing medical investigations so for now we think it is best to deal with those matters first before adding more stress and worry by addressing our current financial situation.

As long as you are not living together then there is no need to change anything yet.

It would be different if he moved in with you while you cared for him - because he doesn't have his own seperate property (a lodger has a funny legal status), and because you were previously a couple, you would probably be classed as a couple.

If he does move in with you then you should inform the DWP, to pre-empt potential problems, and say that it is a temporary measure to help with his care.
    They should be OK with that to start with, but at some stage you will have to become regarded as living together as one 'household'.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.