Thread: Help with Carer's Allowance and JSA

Help with Carer's Allowance and JSA

I recently put in a claim for carer's allowance. I have been looking after my mum since January because she has suffered a breakdown and can no longer care for herself. My mum was awarded middle rate care and low rate mobility. The claim has gone through, and it said that I can be back dated for the past 3 months. I have signed off JSA now and will be claiming both my carer's allowance and income support. My question is, will I get back-dated for the past 3 months? I'm unsure because I was on JSA at the time. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it, I've looked all over trying to find an answer but have found nothing. Thanks

Yes & no. If you mean CA they can do that & may. It you mean IS then you have to apply & give very good reasons as to why you want it backdated.
    Last edited by Stepheninleeds; 06-21-2012 at 07:06 AM.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Yes I mean CA, I didn't know whether they would back date it for me because I was on JSA at the time or if they would take money of it. Thank you

The best place to get advice is the CAB because there may be many variables in your circumstances that you have not put in your post.
    What is your age? What savings are there? Were you told to sign off JSA? Was that because it wasn't contribution based? Does your mother get other benefits? Will she or you lose certain benefits? etc etc You REALLY need to go over everything to be sure of your rights and entitlements.
    As to backdating, some DWP letters say you may be entitled, that is not the same as you can and also it may depend what JSA you were on and in theory if you are a carer doing 35 hours caring you cannot be said to be actively seeking employment to get JSA.
    It's all very complicated and you need face to face professional advice, general advice on the internet is no good.

Yes, Wob is right as the word may is used a lot to give is false hope.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha92 View Post
    Yes I mean CA, I didn't know whether they would back date it for me because I was on JSA at the time or if they would take money of it. Thank you
    Carers Allowance can be backdated for the three months you were looking after your mother and she was awarded DLA care in those three months. The Job Centre will Be notified by Carers Allowance of the backdated award and the Job Centre will have to automatically award backdated Carers Premium for that period.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    you might not get money back dated as CA and JSA are over lapping benefits

open overlapping info box on this page http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/money...Allowance.aspx
    The Carers Premium is an extra amount added to the basic rate of JSA if carers Allowance has been claimed. It is the Carers Premium that can be backdated to the start of the Carers Allowance claim.