Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brown envelope scam warning.

Thanks for this.

There is also a phone scam we had recently, like the ones where they try to tell you your sky box needs insurance etc, but this time they said we owed the local authority a lot of money, and then said that bailiffs were actually on their way to us and we faced legal prosecution. We was so shocked, it really makes your heart go into your mouth, so you can understand why people would pay quickly, without thought, as they said they would call it off with payment.

Only after a few breaths we realised it was impossible and it was another scam. But it's so easy for people to pay them out of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    I really don't think this is any attempt to imitate the DWP,
    You have to see the envelope, it's a definite copy of an 'official' DWP or HMRC envelope.

Obviously once you open it you can see immediately that it isn't from the DWP/HMRC, but until you open it....

I must have had hundreds of envelopes from PPI claims firms, none of them attempted to look like something else, only this one.

Of course this isn't illegal, but it sails very close (too close?) to section 6(d) of the conduct of Authorised Persons Rules 2014
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...son-rules-2014
    "Not imply that the business is approved by the Government or is connected with any government agency or any regulator."

My argument is that by using this type of envelope, without any marking as advertising, they are implying that it's a letter from a government department/agency.

I've had a reply from the regulator and they will be contacting the company for an explanation, so they also believe there is something to be looked at.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-24-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Also for those of us, who are anxious at the sight of a brown envelope arriving through the letter box and this one does say DWP on the back - they are currently sending out PIP uprating letters, which inform you of a small rise of your PIP money in April.

I received mine yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Doubt it - that would be a major breach of DPA.

Address details are probably taken from electoral data available to everyone.

After that it's just fishing.
    Don't know where they got the names from.

There's also a similar "brown envelope" being sent regarding looking for old company pensions. This has a Preston address

Yes, as the PPI comes to an end these companies will have to switch to something else.

Pensions are an obvious, potentially very lucrative market.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.