Thread: Slow progress

Slow progress

Well a week of artic weather and I'm a few degrees north (nope that isn't a euphemism)

I seem to be sticking my fingers in, or getting roped into, various garden/sustainability groups.. And shockingly I'm back studying again doing a short 'greenery' related online course. Most pleased with the front flower bed, which has a good variety of dwarf shrubs, bulbs and is showing a splash of colour. Most of last years cuttings seem to have taken, although not all of the fruit bushes, which is a bit dissapointing.

Hows everyone else doing?

A few bulbs have flowered and others showing their greenery. Hope to get more colour after this cold snap.
    Just ordered four Columnar Bare Root Fruit Trees, only small so don't expect them to produce much fruit The beauty of them is that they
    produce fruit on very short branches, ideal for pots in smaller gardens or patios, compact dwarfing root fruit trees, self-fertile, require little maintenance and no pruning, high yields of sweet fruit, so they say but can't see it, height when fully-grown: 8”-10”, maximum spread: 2”-3”.
    Just a trial for me as I don't want to have proper trees in the garden even though I have got the space I can't look after them.

I can only dream about the amount of fruit they are supposed to produce.

I hope to be getting some 'minaret' trained fruit trees. As I understand its another word for comlumnair.. No reason they shouldn't produce fruit they are basically 'vertical cordon's which can be very productive. I've never grown trees like this either so should be interesting. We've actually got a very small garden so seems ideal

Was looking at Ken Muir but this site looks equally interesting

https://www.pomonafruits.co.uk/about...64e8ebb0b1bb0b

Apparantly "Cordon (Columnar) Fruit Trees
    The modern way to grow fruit trees is to train them as vertical cordons. These space-saving columnar trees (sometimes referred to as Minarettes, Pillarettes or supercolumns) are attractive as well as fruitful and are perfect for smaller gardens. They can be spaced as close as 60-90cm (2-3ft) apart and are also ideal planted in containers on a sunny patio or balcony. Cordons should have their ultimate height restricted to 1.8-2.4m (6-8ft) and their fruiting laterals pruned during the summer months in order to retain their compact columnar shape. To ensure rapid establishment, cordon fruit trees are supplied bare-rooted and will be 1.2-1.5m (4-5ft) high on despatch."

I am waiting for mine to arrive. They will be grown in pots at the end of our garden. I do have a big garden and could have full trees down the side but I can't look after them. With the Columnar it should be easy to look after them. I do have a full grown apple tree but I have to pay someone to cull it at times
    I bought mine off Groupon as they were on special offer but I did look at the site you posted when I was doing the research.

Wait and see once they arrive in the hope of some fresh fruit.

Now the snow has gone I'm itching to get going.. In between the fatigue, depression/frustration..

Starting a cooking course on Thursday. Which will steal valuable time, but should be fun..

Our snow hasn't gone yet and my fruit trees haven't arrived. Actually pleased about that because of the weather.

Hope the cookery course goes well. May be an idea to start a thread on here posting recipes and your rating of them.