Thread: Universal Credit and PIP question

Universal Credit and PIP question

Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before - I searched and found nothing.

I currently live alone in a mortgaged property - I work 20 hours a week - I get max PIP both elements - I get WTC along with the disability element - the area I live in has gone FULL Universal Credit enabled.

Myself and my ex (she cares for me - not paid or anything and she claims no carers allowance or anything) - have been talking about her moving in with me - she has a son who is 8 and she works 16 hours a week and currently claims wtc/ctc. She currently rents her own property.

As I understand it if we decide to move in together we have to claim UNIVERSAL CREDIT. Do I have to tell taz credits about change in circs or is this done automatically when UC process the claim.

What documentary evidence do they need - ie pay slips/bank statements etc - I would prefer to get this all in order so I have it when/if I make the claim.

We have little/no savings worth speaking of - maybe £500 between us.

Do we have to attend a face to face interview for the UC claim or is it all done online/phone.

Anything else I should know ?

I assume we will both be without any money apart from wages until claim is processed ??

Thanks in advance for any help - I assume this wont affect my PIP claim at all ?

I have done some reading tonight - I have found that re The disability Element of WTC - For this to be applied to Universal Credit you need to complete a Work Capability Assessment ? Will this be the same as the PIP assessment I had to get my Higher Rate PIP award ? Or does the fact that I have a PIP award already mean I would not have to do this WCA ? It's getting confusing......

Firstly, PIP stays outside of Universal Credit so that would not be affected at all.

I think your best bet would be to put your details (as living together) into one of the online benefit calculators that cam be found here:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    (Personally I prefer the entitledto one).

That will give you a very good idea of what you should be claiming as a couple.
    (Obviously they can't cover every possible circumstance that can arise, but if there is nothing unusual then they are very good).
    It will also give you an idea of what information the DWP will want to see, ie. the same as the calculator asks about.

There are no disability premiums at all payable with UC.

Which means that if you want to claim a UC disability element (the equivalent of an ESA award) in your own right then you would need to have a WCA.
    This is possible under UC even though you are working 20 hrs/wk. (It would not be possible under ESA, which is presumably why you have not claimed ESA).

A WCA is similar to a PIP assessment, but they are looking for different things so you do need seperate assessments.

As said above your first step should be to run through one of those online benefit calculators.
    Then make an appointmet with CAB or a similar welfare organisation near you to get further help and advice.
    They will be able to see any paperwork about just what you are claiming now, factor in your housing costs, etc. and advise the best way to go.
    You can put your postcode in here to find advisors local to you:
    https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-08-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply..........

Its the lack of disability element in UC that is making any benefit calculators give me such a low figure compared to what I am currently getting.

The calculators say £60 a week - whereas with WTC I currently get £110 a week or thereabouts - a huge difference over the month/year.

Along with this my bills will obviously increase as there will be more people in the house.

So bills go up - but benefits come down........have to be honest and say I have no idea about ESA at all - if I went to a WCA and they said no - could this affect my PIP award ? I have it for 10 years and it was a huge battle to get the original decision overturned - could not go through that again.

PIP and ESA are totally different benefits, having or not having one does not affect having the other.
    (Although having PIP can give you extra premiums paid with ESA, just like it does with WTC & CTC).

As said above though, you will not be able to claim ESA if you are working 20 hrs/week.
    With ESA you can work up to 16 hrs/week and/or earn up to £120/week.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...nd-Support-All

£60 a week seems low.
    I'm assuming that you have done the calculation as a couple with one child, and that it is your joint wages that will be reducing the amount of UC payable.

Unfortunately it's the old story, becoming a couple nearly always means that income related benefits will be reduced.
    That would still happen to your existing benefits, even if UC was not involved.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.