Thread: Worth still claiming ESA for a nil amount?

Worth still claiming ESA for a nil amount?

I will be 60 in a few weeks time, and have a further two pensions that will start on my 60th Birthday (a further Occupational Pension and a Self Invested/Private Pension). I already receive my military occupational pension and when the new pensions kick in they will all together total £1207.75 per week gross.

With the military pension I am currently receiving, I only get a small amount of Contributory ESA (Support Group) as the pension is well over £85 per week. Once the further two pensions start they will completely wipe out all ESA payments.

My State Retirement Pension which I can claim when I am 66 is already 'fully funded' by previous contributions and credits according to the Gov.UK website (and also from working it out from my many P60's).

Therefore is there any need at all to keep the ESA claim open whilst claiming a nil amount? Or, as I hope, can I just close it down?

Thanks

Richard

Unusual but from what you say then it's up to you.

To start with you do not seem to be getting much from keeping it open just for NI credits.
    But there again as you are in Support Group you are not being asked to do anything either.

So why do anything until/unless they call you for a reassessment?
    Then decide if you want to go through it, or close your claim.

A few other things to consider:
    Do you have an IR entitlement with your ESA that gives you free healthcare etc.? (Although your military pension may cover that).
    Did you get a £25 cold weather payment recently? If you had closed your ESA claim you may not have done, (unless one was payable with your military pension).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Unusual but from what you say then it's up to you.

To start with you do not seem to be getting much from keeping it open just for NI credits.
    But there again as you are in Support Group you are not being asked to do anything either.

So why do anything until/unless they call you for a reassessment?
    Then decide if you want to go through it, or close your claim.

A few other things to consider:
    Do you have an IR entitlement with your ESA that gives you free healthcare etc.? (Although your military pension may cover that).
    Did you get a £25 cold weather payment recently? If you had closed your ESA claim you may not have done, (unless one was payable with your military pension).
    Thanks.

No, I don't receive any income related benefits as my attributable military pension and war pension and allowances already put me over the thresholds before I claim my other pensions.

I appreciate that in the ESA Support Group I am not liable for any interviews etc, but I just cannot see any reason to continue claiming claiming it, particularly as my State Pension is already funded for the maximum I would be able to claim. I can see your point about waiting until I get 'reviewed' but to be honest it is just one thing extra to bother about for no gain once my other pensions kick in.

I also have the HM Revenue and Customs to deal regarding my Income Tax, and with so many different sources of income and being on the higher Income Tax rate, having a live ESA claim is just something else to go wrong!.

Thanks again,

Richard

It sounds like you get an exceptional good pension without your State Pension.

Be aware that it's worth requesting a State Pension forecast as all may not be what it seems.

You need to have worked 35 years to get a full State Pension. I retired early but have still worked for 38 years but they said I was 4 years short!

This is because wen I was given the hoice to opt out of SERPS and pay into a Private Pension I did.

Even though I'm not entitled to any means-tested benefits I recently decided to apply for ESA just so I'm credited my NI premiums so when I'm 66 I'll get the full State Pension. I only took one Well Note in and that was al I needed to do - no medical/interviews etc needed ever.

It sounds like you will be the same - gov uk state pension statement

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    It sounds like you get an exceptional good pension without your State Pension.

Be aware that it's worth requesting a State Pension forecast as all may not be what it seems.

You need to have worked 35 years to get a full State Pension. I retired early but have still worked for 38 years but they said I was 4 years short!

This is because wen I was given the hoice to opt out of SERPS and pay into a Private Pension I did.

Even though I'm not entitled to any means-tested benefits I recently decided to apply for ESA just so I'm credited my NI premiums so when I'm 66 I'll get the full State Pension. I only took one Well Note in and that was al I needed to do - no medical/interviews etc needed ever.

It sounds like you will be the same - gov uk state pension statement
    Thanks,

Yes, I got my personal state pension forecast from Gov.uk which showed me as fully funded having contributed/credits for 36 years (albeit the COPE thing applies because I have always been 'opted out' of SERPS/State Second Pension as I have always been in occupational pension schemes). Also I have quite a large self invested private pension.

I will just leave the ESA thing as it is. I could always cancel it in the future if it gets complicated, or if I get an adverse review etc, albeit I have never been reviewed since I first claimed it 3 years ago, despite being given a 2 year 'review date' when I rang them to ask.

Thanks anyway.

Richard