Thread: Disability Premium

Disability Premium

Hi there

I have been claiming Income Based ESA for around 4 years and am in the support group. About 2 years ago I was awarded PIP at standard mobile and daily living.
    I was told at the time I don't qualify for disability premium (Or maybe severe disability premium) (I find it all confusing) As I live with my grandmother.

However at the time of being awarded PIP and receiving a letter about Disability Premiums my grandmother who I live with was on DLA. She has now changed to PIP and gets standard daily living.
    No on else lives at our household and she does not receive carer's allowance. As does no one for me. I was told I did not qualify. I only have looked in to this and the information is confusing as we both claim PIP and as I have stated
    although I live with my grandmother she is a pensioner and receives PIP as well and there is no one else at my household.

Is this decision correct or should I be getting any Disability Premiums? Wanted to ask here before calling DWP as the information on their website is confusing.

Thanks for reading

You are thinking about the Severe Disability Premium. The criteria are here:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...y-Premium.aspx

So, you claim an income related benefit, you claim standard living PIP and no one claims Carer's Allowance for you.

The last criteria is that you are not living with a non dependent - you are living with your grandma so she is your non dependent - unless the non dependent is receiving a qualifying benefit.

As your grandma is receiving daily living PIP then she receives a qualifying benefit.

So you are entitled to the Severe Disability Premium with your ESA.

If your grandma was receiving middle care or high care DLA then that is also a qualifying benefit.

Your SDP should be backdated to when your grandma started receiving daily living PIP or earlier if your grandma was receiving mid/high care DLA.

Hope that makes sense.
    I try my best

I can confirm that what Lindy says is correct. I recently found out that I should have been receiving it from October 2015.
    It was also confirmed on the phone that the DWP can backdate up to 20 years.

I was told incorrectly in 2016 that I cannot claim it and have since been told that was an admin error as my mum is in a qualifying benefit - PIP.