Thread: Disabled bay

Disabled bay

My brother is awaiting his B/B to arrive, he ideally would also need a disabled bay outside his house, but there are double yellow lines ,will this mean he cannot have a bay or does each local authority have differant rules ?

Hi Rob, In circumstances when the applicant has a parking restriction outside their property e.g. yellow lines most LA's will install the disabled parking bay in the nearest unrestricted parking space.

Good luck

Disabled bay

Many thanks for the reply,will let him know.

Just a word or warning.

The disabled parking bay will more than likely not be badge specific.

i.e. Anyone with a Blue Badge will be able to use it

Quote Originally Posted by gbhxu View Post
    Just a word or warning.

The disabled parking bay will more than likely not be badge specific.

i.e. Anyone with a Blue Badge will be able to use it
    Spaces were put in near where I live for anyone with a BB and theres a time limit (3 hours (which is the maximum limit on mind) no return within 1 hour) as well which those who requested them didn't realise and have had tickets for overstaying as well as finding others parked there.

It's got rather nasty as the people who requested the spaces believed them to be for them only and they aren't - the request is actually a generic one so can be made by anyone (might be different where you are) so whilst they requested the spaces that didn't mean it was theirs.

Has he got a front garden or similar? Just thinking if he was prepared to loose it he could park on his own land.

It's a shame blue badge parking is limited to three hours on double yellows, as I can't think of any other solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
    Has he got a front garden or similar? Just thinking if he was prepared to lose it he could park on his own land.

It's a shame blue badge parking is limited to three hours on double yellows, as I can't think of any other solution.
    Just to add a little more info for those thinking about having their own driveways
    There are many restrictions 2 of which are Driveway distance from a corner/Junction and also distance from any trees

You need to contact 'Highways' department who deal with road markings / accessible parking bays.

Many years ago I had problems parking near work in central Manchester. As a protest I parked on double yellow lines displaying my Blue Badge and overrun the two hour limit daily as I worked 8 hours a day. I got a parking ticket every day for 10 working days.

In the end the Police visited me when in work and let me off all the tickets. The Council created an accessible parking bay 10 feet away from the building front door.

Remember that any Blue Badge Holder can use it as it doesn't belong to the disabled person requesting the spot!