Thread: Survival of cuttings

Survival of cuttings

Good news, of sorts.

Last year I took a load of cuttings, put in a gritty mix, dipped in rooting hormone and left over the winter covered in fleece.

First full defleecing of the year.

Success with extremely vigorous Buddlia globosa, some rose cuttings, and I think black currants.

Lets hope I can keep em ticking over till the next cold snap is passed

I like the word "defleecing".
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Cool Buddha cuttings

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingKidney View Post
    Good news, of sorts.

Last year I took a load of cuttings, put in a gritty mix, dipped in rooting hormone and left over the winter covered in fleece.

First full defleecing of the year.

Success with extremely vigorous Buddlia globosa, some rose cuttings, and I think black currants.

Lets hope I can keep em ticking over till the next cold snap is passed
    Interested to read that you have have made cuttings from your budliea, I wondered how they have survived? I would like to get somebody to do a cutting for a friend of mine, but not sure how to do this, wondered if you could give me some tips please?

Pretty easy.

This time of year, you can take 'water' cuttings of quite a few things. Just cut a bit off and pop in a jar of water. Then carefully pop in a pot when there's a good amount of root. Keep cool but frost free till next year. I did this with passionflowers earlier in the year and now have about 4 from the original plants.

Hardwood cuttings which I did with the Buddlia and a few other things. Again take cuttings from clean woody stems.
    You need long enough to get about 2 thirds in the pot.
    I use a gritty compost mix maybe about 2 thirds compost to 1 part horticultural grit.

Put around edges of pot and keep frost free till next year. Rooting hormone is optional, either gel or powder but NEVER put cuttings direct into pot as it contaminates everything. use a clean plant label to take a bit out into something like a small tin or plastic food tray and use that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basic...ardwood1.shtml

And this is quite a good video, which MIGHT have been done by someone I know! Just recognise the name.
    https://youtu.be/vFVjzgaUHYc

I've now got about 9 buddlia in the front garden, mostly the Dwarf, Buzz ™ variety.

Its all gone well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2vtBQounI
    Last edited by TheFlyingKidney; 08-02-2019 at 04:48 PM.