Thread: esa ending = now what??

paulah

esa ending = now what??

I have been on contributory esa and it is due to end in september

I receive the higher rate dla with mobility

I am on home kidney dialysis 6 times a day have problems with my bowels and am partially sighted

It would be impossible for me to work but despite an appeal I was put in the work related sector

What happens when my esa stops?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by paulah View Post
    I have been on contributory esa and it is due to end in september

I receive the higher rate dla with mobility

I am on home kidney dialysis 6 times a day have problems with my bowels and am partially sighted

It would be impossible for me to work but despite an appeal I was put in the work related sector

What happens when my esa stops?
    you can try and claim ir esa unless you have a partner working or youc ould try and get in support group

I'm not sure right now what conditions give automatic Support Group - but for someone on dialysis 6 times a day to be put in the WRAG - with no change on appeal - seems basically wrong. I can't see how it has happened and would suggest you try to get advice before the Conts Based ESA runs out. There may be a way to resurrect the appeal. It just doesn't seem right and I'm wondering if an error has been made along the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    I'm not sure right now what conditions give automatic Support Group - but for someone on dialysis 6 times a day to be put in the WRAG - with no change on appeal - seems basically wrong. I can't see how it has happened and would suggest you try to get advice before the Conts Based ESA runs out. There may be a way to resurrect the appeal. It just doesn't seem right and I'm wondering if an error has been made along the line.
    I wondered about this as well, and also if the dialysis was 6 times a week not per day? Also wondered how OP had got on with attending the Work Focussed Interviews that go with the WRAG group? Looked at support group criteria but could only find 'weekly in patient dialysis' and associated recovery times mentioned as one of them. Nothing about home dialysis, which I know gives some people a more normal chance of life but obviously not everyone.

Was reported in press recently the longest surviving UK dialysis patient (31 years) on dialysis 3 times weekly inpatient, who due to length of condition ahs suffered 15 heart attacks in past 5 years, put in WRAG group after I migration with no assssment, and he'd included several detailed reports from consultants with his initial form. His CB ESA would end in 12 months, as his wife + family work. Know its paranoid but sometimes wonder if they know the person's financial support and ignore the fact the person perhaps merits support group inclusion to reduce welfare costs.

The situation is that if you are in the WRAG contribution based ESA which is only paid for 12 months. After that time you don’t stop being eligible for ESA but transfer onto means tested ESA. For many people this will mean an end to payments if they have a working partner, private pension or savings. The government decides on a sum that you need to live on – if you have more than that amount of money coming into the household they will not pay means tested benefits. This includes Income Support.

Signing on at the job centre seems a ridiculous thing to say to you. If you have been deemed unfit for work how could you sign on for JSA and say that you were available for work?
    Tax credits might be a goer. Try the tax credit helpline 0345 300 3900

If you are in the support group the twelve month rule does not apply and you continue getting contribution based ESA. Getting into the support group at this stage is tricky. You have 28 days from the date of your decision letter to appeal. If this is passed I think you need to have a NEW condition and can then reapply. I don’t suppose this means having something other than dialysis but lets say you develop a new symptom which would put you into the support
    group you can have another go but if you are presenting the same info as you gave originally it won’t be aloud.