Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP Appeal Adjourned

PIP Appeal Adjourned

Hello All, hope everyone is ok.I was assessed for PIP in November, previously on higher rate of DLA for many years, I was scored zero points at assesment, then 2 points at Mandatory Reconsideration.Appealed in January sending as much evidence as possible, due to the stress of the whole process I requested paper hearing.I expected a long wait, but got a letter on Saturday to say the appeal had been heard , bit was adjourned as the panel needed to look at medical records.Also that they would encourage me to attend.I feel that. I should attend but feel completely terrified, I have bipolar disorder, severe OCD, and epilepsy,and don't know how I will cope.Any advice much appreciated.With Thanks.

Hello Middleaged

Let's look at this differently.

How much do you want to be awarded PIP?

What difference to your life will the PIP payments make?

I ask this because far more favourable PIP decisions are made when a claimant attends the tribunal than when they don't.

They want to encourage you to attend so that you can answer any questions they have about your illnesses and how they effect your ability to complete the PIP descriptors.

I too was terrified at the thought of attending my PIP tribunal after my DLA to PIP transfer failed. I have both a physical disability and mental health difficulties I am under a psychiatrist.

However read through the forum, you will find so many posts from also terrified people, who say the tribunal really wasn't as bad as they feared, and that if they had to do it again, they would.

Please consider attending your own tribunal to get the award you deserve.

You should always attend the tribunal if it is at all possible for you.

You stand a much better chance of getting a favourable award if you can attend.

Most people find that the tribunal is nowhere near as stressful as they imagined it would be, and wonder afterwards why they did all that worrying about attending.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks very much, have decided I am definitely going.

Thank you, have made the decision to attend.

Hello Middleaged

Glad to hear you are giving yourself the best chance possible by attending your tribunal.

Please come back to the forum and let us all know how you get on.

Hello , I have my pip tribunal court appointment on 3rd May and I am now
    So anxious and stressed at the thought of it , I keep reading and checking
    Paperwork . Wondering if I have have covered everything , not sure how I feel
    at the moment about sitting in front of these important people but know I
    to attend which is what everyone has said .
    I hope your time will be manageable for you but apparently it really is a must ,
    So wish you good luck .

Pinched this from somewhere but might be useful

) Concentrate wholly on what you were like on the date of claim.

2) There are no “trick” questions. Tribunals are usually listed 20 minutes apart so, apart from the appeal papers, they need questions which cut across lots of functions. So the car question is brilliant because it indicates grip; mobility; dexterity; the ability to do something repeatedly; concentration and stamina. Instead of thinking negatively about such stuff think about what they’re getting at and your answers will be much better and more detailed. Similar questions include whether you’ve been on holiday recently. It feeds into mobility (getting across an airport); stamina; the ability to cope alone; the need for aids and appliances.

3) There are no set rules or order for a hearing beyind the requirement that it must be seen to be fair.

4) Watch the judge’s pen. All three members may take notes but only the judge writes a record of proceedings. If you don’t want them to miss anything then remember that they can’t write as fast as you can speak, so watch their pen and slow down. Don’t worry about going too slow. They will tell you if you do.

5) Never interrupt any tribunal member. It is perfectly okay to challenge them provided it’s not rude or aggressive. However, think about whether what you’re challenging them on is directly related to points. If it’s not then better to focus on points. This is especially important because loads of people second guess the demeanour of tribunal members as determining whether they are pro or against and it’s largely nonsense. An aggressive, challenging member may well just be a poor communicator and wholly on your side right up to the point you challenge them etc.

6) Get yourself a representative and travel to the venue by whatever means makes you feel comfortable. It’s only ever an issue if you don’t explain what you did in full and if doing so contradicts your other evidence in some way for daily living and /or mobility.

7) Same goes for clothes. You need to wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and relaxed. If you’re not relaxed then the likelihood of you presenting well are much reduced. Dressing down is not a good idea unless that all you can afford. A person who feels naked without make-up or a suit abd tie will similarly be over stressed if they try to pretend they’re in their comfort zone dressing down.

8) Other people’s tribunal experience can be valuable but it’s just that. Their experience. If they lost then it’s the tribunal to blame. If they win they everything they did is why they won and what you must do. The truth is usually very much in between.

9) Know your case. What points are you going for and why. What’s your evidence? “The HCP was a liar” is neither evidence nor a winning strategy. Also, know the appeal papers. What’s where.

10) Do not be tempted to claim you’ve worsened since the date of claim. That’s a recipe for a failed appeal and an invitation to make another claim. Even if you have got worse always concentrate on your date of claim and what you were like then.
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Hi David69, that is useful info above .
    As I said I have my appeal very soon and so the never ending going over things keeps on going !
    But I have just realised what I have not done is a submission , and that’s because I thought that
    was what I had written in my MR .
    So please can you tell me what this submission is and what is involved in doing it ?
    Sorry if I appear a bit thick but so near now I don’t want to go without fully being prepared and
    the damn medication is making my concentration worse along with confusion ! I expect I am
    Not alone with this !!! But need all the help I can get , thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Welshchick View Post
    But I have just realised what I have not done is a submission , and that’s because I thought that
    was what I had written in my MR .
    Your tribunal submission (if you make one) is basically what you have already written in your MR, but you do it again for the tribunal.
    Don't assume that the DWP will send your evidence to the tribunal, it's not in the DWPs interest to send them anything that supports your case.

You don't have to make a written submission, but it's best to make one so that the tribunal can read your argument/point of view before the actual hearing.

You can add to the stuff that you sent to MR, if you have new evidence or have thought of something new.
    Be careful not to contradict anything that you have said before though.

In fact once you have received the DWPs 'court bundle' you can see just what they are arguing so can concentrate better on countering their arguments.

If you are making a written submission then you should get it to the court as soon as you can before the hearing.
    If you just turn up at the hearing with a lot of new stuff then they may have to adjourn so as to have time to read it all.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.