Thread: Assistive technology at work - pay for it yourself?

Assistive technology at work - pay for it yourself?

Not sure what I think about this one.

Especially the suggestion about possibly using PIP to lease AT; similar to Motability leases.

Select committee report on assistive technology in the workplace:
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...hnology-17-19/

Open up Personal Independence Payments (PIP) to lease or buy AT, on the same principle as is currently used for claimants to lease cars – again with no additional cost to the taxpayer. For many disabled people out of work, even the cost of a mainstream laptop or smart phone is out of reach, but many need at least these basic, ‘universal’ forms of AT to access the job market.
    Not to mention often needing " ‘universal’ forms of AT" to access benefits.
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-22-2018 at 07:07 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'll just add it to the other hundred and one things I keep being told to use it for then.

Just a couple of examples - council housing dept count it as income and expect disabled people to use it to cover rent, whilst direct payments expect it to be used to pay for care, whilst physio will no longer be funded past week six so must use it for private physio and mh must be treated private as NHS isn't set up for physically disabled people with MH issues.

Not to mention those of us who live in parts of the U.K. Where it's impossible to live stream anything because our internet access is too slow and are increasingly finding sites becoming impossible to use because developers assume everyone has the same rate of access they do.

The thing that bother me is that this is being suggested by the W&P SC rather than the DWP.

Isn't this what "Access to Work" is supposed to be for?

No doubt the government bean counters would love to scrap Access to Work.

If you want to use your PIP/DLA to buy (or lease) assistive tech for home or for work then you can, it's currently your choice.

Yes I see what you're saying. When I went to read it there was a lot of mention of AT getting the unemployed into work and not having AT was preventing disabled people being in work so I was thinking along those lines instead of access to work, apologies.

When I worked I found the criteria for access to work made it difficult for me to get the help I needed and the NHS refused to fund it telling me to apply for DLA instead (which I already had) so I don't tend to see them as particularly helpful, though that us of course coloured by my experience.

I'm aware that access to work can be a bugger with all the need assments and waiting.

But PIP/DLA is supposed to be about your daily living and mobility needs, not about work adaptations.

OK the mobility component could help you get to work in the first place, but Daily LIVING does not mean Daily WORKING.

Totally agree. I don't think it should be about looking for work either, there's a lot of assumptions around (I've seen it on other forums) that with 'just' technology everyone can work.