Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobility Walker

Blog Entries

Mobility Walker

Help needed in where to get a mobility walker please? I cannot afford to buy one after having benefits cut and car taken back, but need to get out!!

Occupational therapy provided mine FOC.
    Often see second hand ones for £15 in charity shops.
    Call me Mike.

Blog Entries
    Thank you can’t get to the shops live rural.

What is it that you are looking for?

If you are rural then surely a scooter or wheelchair would be better than a walker?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    What is it that you are looking for?

If you are rural then surely a scooter or wheelchair would be better than a walker?
    Something light and easy, must have a seat.

This is the problem Nukecard, higher rate DLA and a car, standard PIP, no strength in my arms for a wheelchair.
    Last edited by Shelob; 04-28-2018 at 08:05 AM.

You may be able to get something from your occupational therapist (if you have one) or from social services. They where able to provide me with a trolley for indoors and I know they provide zimmer frames. Yours may be able to provide you with something suitable.

You may have charities locally that provide second hand equipment. Locally I have the red cross that supply second hand equipment (mainly wheelchair etc) for a donation. What they have obviously depends on what people have donated so is hit and miss but you may find what you need.

I bought myself a rollator. There are lots of different designs but I needed to have a seat with back, four wheels for stability, medium size wheels and brakes. I have used it quite allot so I am getting my moneys worth. Rollators are only really suitable for flat surfaces (not bumpy or grave etc). I found mine when new was very stiff and people found it difficult to put up and down. I would not have been able to put it up myself but over time it has loosened and is easier.

Ring Adult Care at your local Social Services and ask for an assessment. They may well be able to provide one.
    As a side note, you say you have no strength in your arms, I find my walker puts strain on my shoulders, elbows and wrists because I hold myself up with it. You can get ones with forearm support.

As an alternative ask your GP to refer you to Wheelchair Services where they may be able to provide an electric wheelchair for you which would be easier than a walker. Some charities may well give you a grant for one.

All avenues to explore.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your help guys, much appreciated!!

Here are a couple of links to charities that may help:

This one provides mobility scooters, powerchairs, etc. FOC to those who can't afford them otherwise:
    https://mobilitytrust.org.uk/

I give this one for general information they provide all kinds of equipment - but you have to be over 65 to qualify.
    http://www.aftaid.org.uk/how_we_help.html
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-28-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Here are a couple of links to charities that may help:

This one provides mobility scooters, powerchairs, etc. FOC to those who can't afford them otherwise:
    https://mobilitytrust.org.uk/

I give this one for general information they provide all kinds of equipment - but you have to be over 65 to qualify.
    http://www.aftaid.org.uk/how_we_help.html
    Thank you not over 65 for a few years yet, will try the other one though ????