Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a new job but what if...

Starting a new job but what if...

I really do hope this query can be answered/empathised with.
    I have been offered a job and it is a very good opportunity, though very responsible.
    I currently claim ESA and DLA, am in the WRAG group for ESA. Under normal circumstances, my ESA wouldn't become universal credit unti next year. However, due to the new benefit, I wouldn't be able to claim tax credits anymore but universal credit. And I am really worried about this. This job is part-time, looking at the calculations, I would just receive about £30 a week with UC, making me overall £78 a week better off working (21 hours). I suffer from many health issues and when I claimed tax credits before, if the job didn't work out (due to ill health in my case) then I could do a rapid recaim and go back to my orginal benefit of ESA (as long as it was within 12 weeks). But with UC, there appears to be all these sanctions (and hardly any available info regarding people who are disabled and working) and there is no 12 week rule and no safety net if the job doesn't work out. This all feels an enormous risk for me, I am not at all sure if the job is right for me and I am terrified this change of circumstance making me go on to UC (when it wouldn't have been until next year normally if not working) will work out, and having to wait so long to be paid (as well as the fact my job would pay monthly in arrears too), this all feels completely overwhelming! If I have to leave the job, I am worried I would be sanctioned and without money for months. I would have to go through the whole process again of being assessed for UC when right now, I am absolutely fine, with no hassle because I am simply receiving ESA. I am in a full service area of UC so any change of circumstance will change my benefit to UC. This seems like no incentive for people with disabilities to see if they can work and I fear I have no choice but to now refuse the job because the risks are so high. What does anyone think?

To start with - working 21 hours a week would be above the 16 hours exempt work (permitted work) allowance for ESA.

There is no 12 week "rapid reclaim" with UC because it is not needed.

Your UC claim stays open all the time you are working and earning below a certain level so there is no need to reclaim, it's just a change of circumstances - which is quick to process (not like an ESA CoC).

If you are on UC Limited Capability and try working and find that you can't cope within 12 weeks then you can go straight back to Limited Capability.

Sorry my wifi connection is playing up.
    I may post more later, in the meantime pist any follow up questions you may have.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Try again after resetting the router.

If you switch to UC then you will not need a reassessment (but some jobcentres don't seem to know that).

There are the Transitional Regulations that say your ESA award is automatically carried over as a UC Limited Capability Element from the start of your UC claim.

Click on the blue text below any of my posts, about migration from ESA to UC, for more detailed information about this.

Thanks nukecad, so glad you replied.
    So let's say, I start the job next week. I then apply online for UC to tell them I have a change of circumstances and have started a new job (so they will know I was in receipt of ESA WRAG group).
    And then I won't need a reassessment at that point due to the transitional regulations as a UC limited capability element. So it will just be time to wait to be paid. That is correct so far?
    But are you sure about if I can't cope with the job within 12 weeks (so this is like tax credits, 12 weeks?) then I go straight back to limited capability UC which will be similar to what I receive now on ESA? But I read that if you leave a job, they sanction you. At the very least, will reassess for UC surely? Surely it can't be that simple (like it admittedly was with tax credits)?

Yes that is how it is set up and how it is supposed to happen.

The initial change from ESA to UC has been the problem in the last year, because the jobcentre staff were only trained about newly unemployed/jobseekers to start with and so anything like a transfer from ESA just confused them.

It's got a lot better as things go on and they get more training/experience, but they still make mistakes and always will because their training is crap, they can't know every circumstance, and things keep changing.

The bit about leaving a job and being sanctioned for it is a scaremongering red herring.
    It has always been the case that if you leave a job without good reason then you can't have any benefit for a while.

Be careful what you read online; there are a lot of people talking a lot of rumor and incorrect information.

PS. If you do claim UC then tell them, repeatedly, that you are currently claiming ESA.

They won't know unless you tell them and will use the wrong computer options.

Okay, thank you for all of this. Really helps, makes me feel I could do this.
    I will let them know I am currently claiming ESA.
    But I still do this online?
    And it still has to be within 12 weeks, like tax credits, if I feel I can't do the job for health reasons, that I inform them and hopefully my UC will eventually be a similar amount to what my ESA benefit is now?
    I always feel a bit concerned as I am still on DLA and it hasn't changed to PIP, for when that assessment comes round that they may think I am fit and healthy.

DLA/PIP is nothing to do with Universal Credit.

UC is only about Income Related benefits, and DLA/PIP are not Income Related.

You may be better phoning them rather than trying to claim online, as far as I know the online forms still think that your are newly unemployed and not migrating/transfering.
    (They will catch up but don't hold your breath).
    It's not easy to do curtently if you have no computer access, or can't use one. But there are ways.
    (Again this will probably get better once they realise that not everyone is a jobseeker, and not everyone has accees to a computer. Again DHYB).
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...versal-credit/

But yes, the more I look at and learn about UC, and the more I see what it is trying to do, I'm becoming to like the idea of it.
    It's all going to depend on what government does in the next few years.

TBH my only issue if I migrated from ESA to UC right now would be the monthly instead of fortnightly payments, and the crap from the last couple of years when the jobcentre staff didn't have enough training.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-09-2018 at 09:43 PM.

On another website...a forum (not sure if I should mention which one) someone else spoke about what if they worked and referred to worrying about PIP and this was the answer from the expert there;
    'You also need to consider your PIP, whilst there is not a specific requirement for claimants to tell the DWP that they have started work, if you fail to do so and the DWP believe that your working is the result of an improvement in your conditions then it will disadvantage you. If you do notify the DWP then it will almost certainly result in an early reassessment of your claim and your working will be considered as part of the assessment.'
    So that concerns me...

That's fair enough,

That answer was right, but not a full explanation.

The important words there are - "the DWP believe that your working is the result of an improvement in your conditions".

The example we often use here is-
    If you have started a job as a postman / delivering leaflets when previously you said you couldn't walk more than ### meters then you are going to be in trouble with the DWP.

Depending on what you are claiming DLA/PIP for then you can do work that doesn't contradict the reason for your claim.

Many people claiming DLA/PIP work, you must have heard of 'Access to Work' to help disabled people get help to work, or get to a place of work?
    There are partners with different conditions, both on DLA/PIP who claim carers allowance for looking after each other.

It's only ESA where doing any work above 16 hours per week (or wages above 16 hrs min wage) will stop ESA benefit automatically.