Thread: Audio recordings nukecad

Audio recordings nukecad

cont from ... https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...589#post144589

I phone the number on my ESA Assesment letter to ask If I could record the home assesment, they said I can not use the 2 tape recorders I have here because they have to be a 2 in one recorder.

I explained that i used this method for PIP and he said pip is a different company.

I asked If the assesor could bring a recording machine and he said they are only used at their office for people who come in and they cant take them out the office on home visits.

Any advice welcome as not I'm scared as like these things recorded.

Thanx

The person that you spoke to is wrong on both counts.

Two seperate recorders are perfectly acceptable, many people have use this method.
    Never mind a dual-tape job, the 2 recorders don't even have to be the same.
    (But the recordings must be, you can't do 1 tape and 1 CD).

The DWP guidelines say that it is the recordings that have to be 'identical'; they do not mention the equipment used at all.

Here's another link to the DWP guidelines for audio recording of a WCA, you can also find templates for the required consent form there:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sessments-faqs

Note that the consent form is worded as if they have used their equipment and given you a copy. Dont worry you can use it as is. (Or you could retype it the other way round).

I also found this in a reply to a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office, which confirms this point:
    12. DWP’s policy is that the acceptable formats for such recording are
    restricted to CD and audio–cassette only and that the equipment used
    should be capable of providing two identical and complete copies of the
    recording at the end of the assessment. However it does not specify the
    type or make of equipment which can be used.
    Regarding them not providing equipment to record at your home, that again is just wrong. (But is probably correct about what really happens in practice).
    I'll point you once again to the DWP guidance linked above.
    Question 7 says:
    7. Can claimants have audio recordings carried out at home?
    The audio recording equipment used by CHDA is portable and claimants can request to have a home based face-to-face assessment recorded. Requests for home recordings must be made in advance by contacting CHDA as part of the booking process.
    I suspect that the reality is that they are supposed to have portable equipment, but don't.

So the guy on the phone either did not know what he was talking about, or was lying to try and put you off recording. (Both are quite possible, their training is crap. Make your own mind up on which).

I would ring them again and tell (don't ask) them that you will be recording your home assessment using your own equipment.
    (You could tell them that you will send a confirmation letter as well, if you want to, keep a copy if you do).
    Don't get into any argument about equipment, if they bring it up just say that you "know the DWP recording guidlines on equipment to use".

You might want to print off those DWP guidelines so you have them to hand when the assessment takes place.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-14-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    The person that you spoke to is wrong on both counts.

Two seperate recorders are perfectly acceptable, many people have use this method.
    Never mind a dual-tape job, the 2 recorders don't even have to be the same.
    (But the recordings must be, you can't do 1 tape and 1 CD).

The DWP guidelines say that it is the recordings that have to be 'identical'; they do not mention the equipment used at all.

Here's another link to the DWP guidelines for audio recording of a WCA, you can also find templates for the required consent form there:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sessments-faqs

Note that the consent form is worded as if they have used their equipment and given you a copy. Dont worry you can use it as is. (Or you could retype it the other way round).

I also found this in a reply to a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office, which confirms this point:

Regarding them not providing equipment to record at your home, that again is just wrong. (But is probably correct about what really happens in practice).
    I'll point you once again to the DWP guidance linked above.
    Question 7 says:
    I suspect that the reality is that they are supposed to have portable equipment, but don't.

So the guy on the phone either did not know what he was talking about, or was lying to try and put you off recording. (Both are quite possible, their training is crap. Make your own mind up on which).

I would ring them again and tell (don't ask) them that you will be recording your home assessment using your own equipment.
    (You could tell them that you will send a confirmation letter as well, if you want to, keep a copy if you do).
    Don't get into any argument about equipment, if they bring it up just say that you "know the DWP recording guidlines on equipment to use".

You might want to print off those DWP guidelines so you have them to hand when the assessment takes place.
    Thanks nukecad, that's alot of info, much appreciated, I'm going to have to read that all later when my brain simmers down as don't think I'll be able to take it in.
    I was so stressed by them today that i found a NEAL Interview Recorder on ebay today and bought it.

I'll report back soon once my mind is settled and I propper read your post.

Thanx so much x

I used to work for NEAL Ferrograph! hope you got a microphone with it, if you didn't they have XLR sockets on the recorder, not the usual 3.5mm or 1/4" jack sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by lexi View Post
    Thanks nukecad, that's alot of info, much appreciated, I'm going to have to read that all later when my brain simmers down as don't think I'll be able to take it in.
    I was so stressed by them today that i found a NEAL Interview Recorder on ebay today and bought it.

I'll report back soon once my mind is settled and I propper read your post.

Thanx so much x
    This Is mental, I phoned him up and told him the guidlines, he said "well that is not our guidelines" and that I still need a dual all in one 2 tape recorder.
    I have told him to deffer my home appointment and he said he would get me another date for a home visit and that doctors are hard to find for home visits so it might take a while to be assesed again.

As If my mental health isn't bad enough they are just making me worse.

Thanks for all your help nukecad, very much appreciated.

Should I phone ESA and tell them what has been said and is going on regarding re-scheduling ?

Thanx

I also forgot to add that the guy on the phone told me that I'm reading off a forum x
    I bet he Is reading this right now.

Well you can see the DWP guidelines for yourself in that link I gave.
    They have to work to the DWP guidelines, it's part of their contract.

The twit on the phone is obviously a jobsworth, with (deliberately) poor training.

You shouldn't have got into a discussion with him, just said that you had the necessary equipment.

Complain both to the DWP, and to CHDA.

I would complain by email and not by phone, emails are a record and so tend to get proper attention.
    You can find the email addresses to make complaints here:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...938#post132938
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Great Thanks nukecad, I have some focus rightnow so able to copy paste and take notes from guidelines and consent form to form my complaint email.

It's all here In balack and white.

Jobsworth Indeed

x