Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: VAT on your new motability car

  1. #1

    VAT on your new motability car

    Hi all i wondered if you know that you should NOT pay for adaptions and optional extras on yor car , if it has been adapted for your use, it comes under the VAT 701-7 4.3 on the hmrc web, i have just had a hoist fitted , and then paid for the front parking sensors also the dimmimg mirror , which HMRC have confirmed that it they are not VAT able as i am a wheelchair user , the
    optionla extra (driver assist ,adaption ) i should not pay VAT on, you will need to down load the form from HMRC , to give to the dealer and he should then not charge VAT , the car has to be perminantly adapted for your use, you cannot get vat releif on the nice wheels or added matts,
    so check before you pay ,the dealers dont like this at all
    If you need further guidance phone the VAT Disabled ReliefsHelpline on 0300 123 1073 as i think this applies to wheel chair users ,
    Last edited by rhoslan; 05-16-2018 at 02:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    268
    One of the biggest bug bears for disabled car buyers is paying extra for automatic gearboxes as most, but not all, need a auto box to be able to drive at all but because these types of cars can be driven by able bodied folk the government does not see it as an aid to the disabled so there is no VAT exception unless the rules have change since I last looked many years ago.

    Same goes for replacement batteries for my mobility scooter, government says these batteries are able to be used in golf buggies so no relief though some sellers say they are VAT free but other don’t and it does make me wonder sometimes that sellers say there is no VAT on batteries, hence the lower price, I think that some maybe just selling substandard batteries or seconds as many of the scooter batteries I’ve bought VAT free seem to not work as well as the originals.

    Could be just the cynic in me though.

  3. #3

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    One of the biggest bug bears for disabled car buyers is paying extra for automatic gearboxes as most, but not all, need a auto box to be able to drive at all but because these types of cars can be driven by able bodied folk the government does not see it as an aid to the disabled so there is no VAT exception unless the rules have change since I last looked many years ago.

    Same goes for replacement batteries for my mobility scooter, government says these batteries are able to be used in golf buggies so no relief though some sellers say they are VAT free but other don’t and it does make me wonder sometimes that sellers say there is no VAT on batteries, hence the lower price, I think that some maybe just selling substandard batteries or seconds as many of the scooter batteries I’ve bought VAT free seem to not work as well as the originals.

    Could be just the cynic in me though.

    well according to the HMRC the whole car if it has had a hoist fitted is not VAT able, form number VAT 1651A allows you to buy the car vat free if it has been adapted , if in doubt call them on the help line who will call you back in 48hrs , i think it is for just wheel chair users, 2017 ,

    VAT Notice 1002: adapted motor vehicles for disabted peopte and charities,

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    Same goes for replacement batteries for my mobility scooter, government says these batteries are able to be used in golf buggies so no relief though some sellers say they are VAT free but other don’t and it does make me wonder sometimes that sellers say there is no VAT on batteries, hence the lower price, I think that some maybe just selling substandard batteries or seconds as many of the scooter batteries I’ve bought VAT free seem to not work as well as the originals.
    I have bought scooter batteries from various sources VAT free from sources found by googling "discount scooter batteries" or similar - they usually come out cheaper than those who sell them for non-mobility applications.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoslan View Post
    well according to the HMRC the whole car if it has had a hoist fitted is not VAT able, form number VAT 1651A allows you to buy the car vat free if it has been adapted , if in doubt call them on the help line who will call you back in 48hrs , i think it is for just wheel chair users, 2017 ,

    VAT Notice 1002: adapted motor vehicles for disabted peopte and charities,
    I’ve never tried to buy a new car VAT free with adaption’s but many sites have asked the question why does Motability get to order cars VAT free where the rest of us can’t.

    Be interested to know if anyone has actually got VAT free on buying a new car but isn’t a WAV car.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoslan View Post
    well according to the HMRC the whole car if it has had a hoist fitted is not VAT able, form number VAT 1651A allows you to buy the car vat free if it has been adapted , if in doubt call them on the help line who will call you back in 48hrs , i think it is for just wheel chair users, 2017 ,

    VAT Notice 1002: adapted motor vehicles for disabted peopte and charities,
    You’re correct in saying it is just for wheelchair users but putting a hoist in a standard car would not qualify and the adaption to the vehicle has to be permanent and substantial and also must be for wheelchair users only and a motabily scooter is not classed in any way as a wheelchair.

    For instance my car is adapted with a steering ball that has a remote control on it to control, lights, indicators and horn and just to add, the whole of the boot space is occupied by a scooter. This is not considered to be permanent or substantial as the actual controlling device can be easily removed from the car, even by me with my disability, and the control box hidden under the dash out of sight can be disregarded.

    So in general my car is a bog standard production car that has adaption’s but can be driven as a normal car by a able bodied person so VAT would be payable on purchase though of course there should be no VAT on the actual adaption’s.

    That’s the way I read the rules but see they were updated last year so not sure what exactly has change since I looked into this a few years ago but can’t see the government giving VAT free cars outside of the Motability scheme and all they’ve seem to do is tinker with the rules trying to make out they actually care for disabled people.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    You’re correct in saying it is just for wheelchair users but putting a hoist in a standard car would not qualify and the adaption to the vehicle has to be permanent and substantial and also must be for wheelchair users only and a motabily scooter is not classed in any way as a wheelchair.

    For instance my car is adapted with a steering ball that has a remote control on it to control, lights, indicators and horn and just to add, the whole of the boot space is occupied by a scooter. This is not considered to be permanent or substantial as the actual controlling device can be easily removed from the car, even by me with my disability, and the control box hidden under the dash out of sight can be disregarded.

    So in general my car is a bog standard production car that has adaption’s but can be driven as a normal car by a able bodied person so VAT would be payable on purchase though of course there should be no VAT on the actual adaption’s.

    That’s the way I read the rules but see they were updated last year so not sure what exactly has change since I looked into this a few years ago but can’t see the government giving VAT free cars outside of the Motability scheme and all they’ve seem to do is tinker with the rules trying to make out they actually care for disabled people.

    HI when i called HMRC , about the car it also includes all adaptions , the perminant part is the hoist must be inplace for 3 years , then the rest of the car will not have VAT applied even used cars , ,this was since 2017 , hence the form i quoted, i did ask about added extras , like the front parking sensors , and the mirror , i was told as long as i can prove i needed them which i can their was not VAT to be paid , the confusion seems to be in the HMRC as well, if you need it to drive the car it is an adaption but if you just want it because it looks nice , you will have to pay VAT , Vat form 1615a is for the supply of a whole car to a person who is buying it out wright ,
    Notice 701/7 to down load the form for adaptions , that you would use if buying a motability car
    it is a mine field, with addaptions labled as drivers assit , but i put it this way if it assists me to drive the car it must be an adaption one way or another or whay would i add them to a car that i have to give back ,
    i cannot upload the forms on here , but if you need the form just ask,

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    268
    Hi rhoslan...

    Definitely a minefield and most problems when trying to buy things VAT free for your disability is the seller is responsible for the VAT should the buyer be found to not to qualify for the VAT free item so sellers take a better safe than sorry approach when dealing with VAT.

    A case I have in mind from 4 years ago was when I tried to buy a spare battery box plus batteries for my mobility scooter and seen this guy selling the box I needed for a very good price.
    So I order the box then after a few day had gone by and the battery box had not turned up I was getting worried so I rang the seller and he apologised for the delay and said he could not sell the box at that price because he forgot to include the VAT.

    So I said to him what it was for and that there would be no VAT to pay he said he did not want to take the risk of selling VAT free encase he got stung for the VAT because the batteries could be used in anything from kids toy electric cars to golf buggies.

    But I pointed out to him that may or may not be so but there is no way the battery box itself could be used in anything other than the mobility scooter it had been designed for but he wouldn’t have it so I just got my money back and bought somewhere else VAT free.

    This was for a battery box and batteries that cost under a hundred pounds so imagine buying a new car with a hoist with the VAT running into thousands of pounds I think there’s going to be problems.

    A minefield indeed.

Similar Threads

  1. Asking price for when buying your motability car from motability
    By wazza in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2015, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •