Thread: Supplementary payment

Supplementary payment

Hi everyone,

I was high rate dla and then I changed over to pip, I was 1 point of getting the high rate of pip and I didn't want to challenge the decision as I heard they can turn you down for pip, so I didn't want to take the risk. I got a letter saying I was intitled to a supplementary payment which made up most of what I was losing from switching from dla to pip. I noticed it was near a year now and I phoned them today and they told me I only get it for a year. I asked do they not review it again and they said no. Im going to lose 147.00 a month when the year is up and im pannicking as I cant afford to lose that much. It's getting me down, I am diagnosed as having borderline personality disorder and suffer from PTSD. You can imagine the stress this is putting me in and I dont need this stress.

I am on ESA support group and get the low pip.

I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to help me.

1) Is there anything I can do to reclaim this 147.00 that I will be losing a month?

2) I asked about the severe disability premium months ago and was told I get regular disability premium because I live at home with my mum. Me and my mum fell out in march this year and she only lets me sleep there twice a week while she does night shifts. She agreed to let my post go there untill I get my own place. The other 5 days im sleeping from friends house to house. I went to the housing and they took my details and gave me 100 housing points. My question is, can I claim the severe disabilty premium as I dont live at home no more? Am I classified as homeless? Can I get the severe disability premium if im homeless? I dont want to phone them in case they stop my esa all together because im homeless?

I am really stressing out and freaking out, I have took 2 pannic attacks today because of this and im feeling suicidle. I really dont know how im going to cope losing 147.00. Thats alot of money to be losing a month.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I just hope there is light in the end of the tunnel.

If your PIP award was only for a year and is now ending then you will have to make a new claim for PIP.
    (The person on the phone should have told you that).

For 'short' PIP awards of one year they do not automatically send you a reassessment form.
    With short awards they usually send you a letter 14 weeks before PIP is due to end telling you that you need to make a new claim, but due to your living situation you may have missed any letter, or it may be a bit early yet.

I believe that you are in Northern Ireland so this is the information and the contact numbers you need:
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts...ent-pip-centre
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...ndence-payment

If you make a sucessful PIP claim then you will continue to get paid PIP, but it will not include that transitional supplement any more.
    What you will be paid will depend an what award you get, but anything has to be better than not reapplying and losing the lot.

If you get a new award of PIP it will entitle you to the Severe Disability Premium paid on your ESA, as long as you meet the other conditions.

But you need to have an award of PIP first before any SDP will be payable, so that's the first thing to sort out.

PS. Is it slightly odd that this is the second question today about claiming SDP while homeless and sleeping on a friends couch?
    (Are the 2 posts related?)
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-17-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    If your PIP award was only for a year and is now ending then you will have to make a new claim for PIP.
    (The person on the phone should have told you that).

For 'short' PIP awards of one year they do not automatically send you a reassessment form.
    With short awards they usually send you a letter 14 weeks before PIP is due to end telling you that you need to make a new claim, but due to your living situation you may have missed any letter, or it may be a bit early yet.

I believe that you are in Northern Ireland so this is the information and the contact numbers you need:
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts...ent-pip-centre
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...ndence-payment

If you make a sucessful PIP claim then you will continue to get paid PIP, but it will not include that transitional supplement any more.
    What you will be paid will depend an what award you get, but anything has to be better than not reapplying and losing the lot.

If you get a new award of PIP it will entitle you to the Severe Disability Premium paid on your ESA, as long as you meet the other conditions.

But you need to have an award of PIP first before any SDP will be payable, so that's the first thing to sort out.

PS. Is it slightly odd that this is the second question today about claiming SDP while homeless and sleeping on a friends couch?
    (Are the 2 posts related?)
    Hi,

Thank you for the responce, I was awarded pip until 2021 and as I mentioned I was one point of the higher rate. I did not want to challenge the decision incase they turned me down. When I was on dla I was getting over £400.00 a month. When I switched to pip im now only getting £220.00 per month. I then got the supplement payment of 140.00 per month so that brings me up to £360.00 per month so I was only realy losing £40.00. The supplement payment of £140.00 runs out in two months then im down to £220.00 per month. Thats a massive drop to take. I phoned them and they basically said there is nothing they can do. I also phoned about the severe disabilty premium and they said no because I have to have my own place.

What I dont understand is the part
    If you are single the severe disability premium (SDP) is included in your award if:

you receive a qualifying disability benefit (Attendance Allowance, constant Attendance Allowance, the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate or Personal Independence Payment daily living component at standard or enhanced rate); and
    no-one gets paid Carer's Allowance (CA) for looking after you (if your carer is eligible for CA but does not receive anything then they do not count); and
    you have no non-dependant adults living with you (unless they are also receiving a qualifying disability benefit or are registered blind)
    Non-dependants are often people like grown-up sons and daughters or elderly relatives. A non-dependant is a person who lives with you but is not liable for paying rent under a formal arrangement. If you live with a non-dependant your Housing Benefit, Universal Credit Housing Element, Council Tax Reduction or Support for Mortgage Interest may be reduced through rules on non-dependant deductions, in Universal Credit these are called housing cost contributions.

If you receive rent under a formal arrangement you should enter the number of sub-tenants or lodgers you have and tell us how much income you receive from them on the 'Net income' page.

If you share your property with joint tenants e.g. a flat share they are not classed as non-dependants but having a joint tenant who is not your partner can affect the help you can receive with housing costs.
    Now a few years ago I was living with a friend and we were joint tennants, should I of not been intitled to the severe disability premium? The women on the phone said no but I dont understand? if we were joint tennants does that not mean he was a non-dependant adult?

I was told to ring pip and tell them I want to make a fresh claim, I dont want to go down that road again until 2021 but losing £180.00 from dla to pip by one point is rediculas and now im going to be losing £140.00 when my supplent paymen finishes. Thats a lot of money to me and I cant afford to lose that much. I dont know what to do?

Here is an explanation of the non-dependant rules:
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants

The awkward things there are "living with you" and "your property".
    You are living with someone else in their property, so I believe that you would have to show that you are paying rent as a lodger and are not part of their household.

But again that all depends on you having an award of PIP in the first place.

Sorry but I am not sure how that 'suplementary payment' works, especially in NI which can have slightly different rules.
    Maybe someone else knows?
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-19-2018 at 04:45 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.