Thread: Wet room problems

Wet room problems

End of last year my Closomat toilet was turned off by service engineer. He said water was getting into it and it was dangerous to use.

Contacted my OT and initially they refused to turn it back on or find a solution. However after some aggressiveness from me, they came out to reassess.

The OT that came out was very nice and said that they can’t repair the toilet as it is of a very old model but they will get a grant to get a new one. And as she was going for a grant then might as well get the whole wet room done.

Now that was ok by me even though the wet room was functioning. It was all tiled flooring with a proper drain system.

Work started on 22nd May after the regular few months of applications. Unfortunately what was supposed to be a 8 day job turned into 18 days and counting.

They first took apart the whole wet room and stripped it bare. Then they started using heavy road diggers to dig the flooring as they said they had to relevel the surface. This took 3 days.

Then they took there time putting the stuff in. In the end the room got smaller and smaller.

Finally, two days ago they finished the job. I had a new toilet that was brilliant but when I used the shower I cane into trouble.

They refused to put back my mixer shower as I was told it’s dangerous and they have to use electric ones due to heating safety. That’s fine. But then the drain had been replaced by one that uses a pumping system. An electric one. However it wasn’t working.

It worked when the plumber showed me how to use it but when I was in my chair all ready, the water wasn’t extracting. The pump turned on, made the noises, but only some of the water was pumped away. Then it stoppped and started after a minute. A pool of water built up and suddenly the hall and carpets everywhere got wet.

It seems that the pump only works when it senses the shower but doesn’t extract as much as the water coming from the shower. And then it stops and starts so water starts building up. Turning off the water leaves the water there. So we had a mini flood.

Couldn’t call the plumber back so rang the housing association emergency repair and they sent someone. He flicked on the override switch but still nothing happening. In the end he said it’s out of his expertise.

So now I have to wait another few days which is fine. Waited so long so can wait a little more.

My questions are these:

Has anyone else had these type of wet rooms with this kind of pump water extraction? And how does it work and any problems?

Next, I’ve not had a shower for nearly three weeks and am really unhygienic and dirty now. What options do I have?

Finally, do the local authority have any responsibility over my showering needs or will they just leave me be?

Hi Swadez, I had identical problems to you after having a wet room fitted. The fitters kept pratting about fitting so called uprated drainage pumps. When it became obvious the pump and drainage system couldn't handle the water flow I then managed to convince the Firm to revert back to gravity flow and replace the power unit with a regular shower mixer. (never had any issues after that).

I reckon your best solution is to make a formal complaint to the Firm management giving them 14 days to rectify the problems you're experiencing, if they don't play ball it's time to get an independent assessor involved.

Most Firms dislike negative publicity so there is every possibility they'll cave in and give you a system that actually works.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Number7 View Post
    Hi Swadez, I had identical problems to you after having a wet room fitted. The fitters kept pratting about fitting so called uprated drainage pumps. When it became obvious the pump and drainage system couldn't handle the water flow I then managed to convince the Firm to revert back to gravity flow and replace the power unit with a regular shower mixer. (never had any issues after that).

I reckon your best solution is to make a formal complaint to the Firm management giving them 14 days to rectify the problems you're experiencing, if they don't play ball it's time to get an independent assessor involved.

Most Firms dislike negative publicity so there is every possibility they'll cave in and give you a system that actually works.

Good luck
    Thank you for your reply.

I got a grant and the work was planned out by the loc authority. So I’m not sure if the contractors will change anything. Plus the old drainage has gone. They’ve cemented over it.

I could just tell the local authority and they can sort it out.

Sounds to me you are stuck in the middle of a gullible council and a greedy contractor:
    There is no safety issue with using a gravity fed shower feed....it is powered by either gravity or mains water pressure. No need to replace with electric, that just meand re plumbing pipework and running new exclusive cabling from the consumer unit, al unecessary added cost.
    There is no need for a pumped drainage system if a gravity drain was working fine, again added labour and components.
    Same goes for digging out and relevelling, all invented for just adding to the bill at the expense of first you, in terms of time and inconvenience and of course the mugs who pay for it all.( council tax payers)
    This needs independent scrutiny and assessment really, but I would insist that they undid all the uneeded work and parts and revert back to the system you had with new parts .
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Sounds to me you are stuck in the middle of a gullible council and a greedy contractor:
    There is no safety issue with using a gravity fed shower feed....it is powered by either gravity or mains water pressure. No need to replace with electric, that just meand re plumbing pipework and running new exclusive cabling from the consumer unit, al unecessary added cost.
    There is no need for a pumped drainage system if a gravity drain was working fine, again added labour and components.
    Same goes for digging out and relevelling, all invented for just adding to the bill at the expense of first you, in terms of time and inconvenience and of course the mugs who pay for it all.( council tax payers)
    This needs independent scrutiny and assessment really, but I would insist that they undid all the uneeded work and parts and revert back to the system you had with new parts .
    Good luck
    You make some good points but do I have a choice now that the works are complete? I would gladly go back to how it was before.

By the way they came and fixed it today - and said there was a blockage. Funny as it was the very first time I used it.