Thread: Disability and public transport (physical and mental health)

Disability and public transport (physical and mental health)

Since being ill travelling by train I've gradually found it increasingly difficult to travel. In the last two years I've struggled to get more than five miles away. I've now been diagnosed with agoraphobia.

I was due to attend an event next weekend, it's extremely unlikely I'll go, although I'm trying exposure therapy it's been an extremely long road with many set backs!

I wanted to ask what you find helps you when travelling? I could manage before but now I've diabetes which isn't well controlled and panic attacks which can trigger loss of consiousness as well as losing consiousness when it gets hot I find it impossible to travel. Obviously other folks manage so I'm wondering how. Any tips? I'm in Wales and have an orange wallet which I've put medical information in (I also have mini strokes and find I cannot talk sometimes so that's how I've got one of those) but I've never been on a train to use it so I don't know if it's actually helpful or not (I think it's only a thing in Wales).

Anyway, any advice would be welcome!
    Thankyou.

First off, can you travel with a friend or carer? If you have a disabled rain card, then they travel free. Seems to me that would be a good idea if the whole losing consciousness thing is a very real possibility.
    My sympathies - ARRIVA trains are not the best (they run thru shropshire, where I am) but the staff are usually quite good.
    How far is the event away from you?

I've no one I can go with. I do have a railcard. Arriva sent me an email saying I should contact staff if I feel ill, but they don't get that warnings are very short or that they are now halving the number of carriages we have to two so no staff can get through to help.

I didn't get to the event, it was too far and I'm not well.