Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important - Possible climbdown on Natural Migrations.

Important - Climbdown on Natural Migrations.

I don't have the full details yet of how this is going to work, but apparently there will now be 'compensation' for those already migrated to UC who have lost their SDP in the migration.

From CPAG, June 7, 2018
    Secretary of State for Work and Pensions Esther McVey announced today:

Claimants with severe disabilities who have moved from legacy benefits to universal credit will be compensated for the loss of the Severe Disability Premium (which is not carried over to universal credit) and others will only be migrated to universal credit once there is protection against that loss in place
    Parents whose childcare costs increase after they move from tax credits to universal credit will now always have those extra costs reflected in their universal credit award
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/child...credit-changes

You can bet I'm looking into this further.
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-10-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I've now found the statment itself:
    In order to support the transition for those individuals who live alone with substantial care needs and receive the Severe Disability Premium, we are changing the system so that these claimants will not be moved to Universal Credit until they qualify for transitional protection. In addition, we will provide both an on-going payment to claimants who have already lost this Premium as a consequence of moving to Universal Credit and an additional payment to cover the period since they moved.
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...-06-07/HCWS745

So extra UC and a backpayment for those already moved who lost SDP, and a block on further 'Natural Migration' for anyone with SDP.

Three things missing though:
    1. An actual date when these changes will come into force.
    2. An actual date for when backpayments will be made.
    3. What will happen to those with SDP who have a CoC that would have meant claiming UC instead of Housing Benefit?

These changes will "form part of the Universal Credit Managed Migration and Transitional Protection Regulations which we intend to bring forward in the Autumn."

These regulations were already planned, they'll have to add these changes now. (Can't wait to see what they finally come up with for Transitional Protection).

As I see it they have 2 choices with that third one:
    1. Either allow a new HB claim to be made even in a Full Service area, if you already have ESA with SDP.
    2. Or keep all IR ESA out of UC altogether until Managed migration.

I also note that although they still want to start Managed Migration in July 2019 they have put back the expected completion date to March 2023.

(Time to go and make changes to my 'Migration' thread).
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-06-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Just to round this off for now.

These ad-hoc statistics were published at the same time the government statement was made.

They show how many in WRAG/SG were getting SDP/EDP at February 2018.
    They also show how many with SDP/EDP have already been migrated to Universal Credit.

They suggest that there are currently 4,000 'Natural Migrants' to UC who will have lost the SDP, so will now need to be backpaid.

There were also about 11,000 'migrants' with EDP only.
    About 10,450 of those would be in SG and so would be better off after migration.
    (The other 550, from WRAG, will still lose out as there are no plans to backpay or give TP for the EDP).

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...remium-or-both
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-11-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for that Nukecad.

I also note that although they still want to start Managed Migration in July 2019 they have put back the expected completion date to March 3023.

3023? thats the next millenium, Im sure you meant 2023, I hope

Oops, yes that was a typo. I've changed it now.

Having said that it's now been stated to be 2024, and the way they are going it may well end up as 3023.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-06-2019 at 03:02 PM.

when i moved onto UC as a single person i was £90 better off than when i was on ESA/SG , because i wasnt getting the SDP bit added to my ESA , but im glad people loosing there SDP that moved to UC are getting compensated.
    i would not want to think my extra £90 a month was the result of someone in a worse possition loosing money

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    ... im glad people loosing there SDP that moved to UC are getting compensated.
    The problem is that as the draft legislation stands they will not get the full amount that someone who is Managed Migrated will get as TP.

The government is once again trying to be stingy and limit what they should have paid in the first place.
    They have used a very strange, dodgy, formula to work out the compensation and Transitional Payments (note that's not TP).

As mentioned elsewhere there has been a High Court Judicial Review about this loss of premiums with Natural Migration, and the DWP agreed to fully compensate the 2 men in that case back to their previous payment levels (with backpay).
    That sets a precedent and so if they try to limit everyone else who found themselves in the same position of losing SDP,EDP,etc. as those 2 cases then they will simply be taken to court again, loose again, and have to pay everyone the full TP they should have done all along.

(TBH I suspect that they will announce that they are going to fully compensate everyone who lost out, making out that they are 'caring' rather than admitting that they have to do it because they lost in court).

What do we call the migrants from EU Countries, I suppose we would call them "managed"

Don't forget that there will be migrants on IR benefits who will be 'Migrated' to UC, which should be fun for those with ESOL when they're asked about their right to remain / migration status.

Why they couldn't just use the words 'Transfer to UC' instead of 'Migration' is anybodys guess, perhaps that wouldn't be confusing enough?