Thread: Dbs & pip

Smile Dbs & pip

Hi all. Some help if I may. I have recently undergone DBS. Has anyone been in this situation and how has it effected your PIP? Gone up/Down stayed the same. Did you notify the DWP? What was your approach?etc etc

I don't see how DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) would affect your PIP. You can claim PIP while working.
    I also don't see why the DWP would need to know as a DBS check itself would not affect any other benefits either.

The only possible problem is if the job for which you have had the DBS check conflicts with the reason you are claiming PIP.
    eg. Saying you can't leave the house then getting a job as a health visitor.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Sorry. I should have been clearer. (DBS) Deep brain stimulation or surgery.

PIP is based on how your condition affects your ability to do everyday activities. You are required to report a change in circumstances, whether for the better or worse. If your medical procedure has changed your ability to do all of the things that you will remember from the PIP form (eg. dressing, bathing, cooking, administering meds, walking, planning a journey, etc.) then you should tell them (if it has made you even slightly better and you don't tell them but they find out, then you get fined; if it has made you worse so you will get more then it is in your interest to tell them). However, if the change is only temporary it shouldn't make a difference.

Give yourself time to recover and see how it effects you. I've not had this operation but have had ones for my conditions which should have improved my condition but didn't.

If it doesn't improve things be prepared for any future assessment to assume it does, the fact that operations don't always work isn't taken into consideration like it should be.

pip is based on a 1 year period so you must have had the condition for 3 months and expect it to last for at least the next 9 months.

so give your conditions at least 3 months whether improved or worsened before you tell them about the change.

Quote Originally Posted by rowej03 View Post
    Sorry. I should have been clearer. (DBS) Deep brain stimulation or surgery.
    Oops, that's the problem with acronyms, they can often mean more than one thing.

As the others have said you are supposed to report any changes in condition, but the question is when?

I believe that 3 months is a reasonable time to evaluate if any procedure has improved your condition or not.
    (3 months is the time they use for judging deteriorations in condition).

You could cover yourself by informing them you have had the procedure, but making very clear that it's too early to judge any changes yet.

If/when you do inform them do not be surprised to see a reassessment form turning up, they will want to reassess any changes.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.