Thread: What counts as an aid for personal independence payment?

What counts as an aid for personal independence payment?

Okay, so last week I received your DLA is ending letter and today I have received the personal independence payment form.

I was, and in some ways, still am confident that I will receive at least the same level of benefits I received just now, and there is a possibility I might even reach 12 points on the daily living side.

However, I do have some questions regarding what counts as an aid? For example, does a straw and Dycem count as aids for eating and drinking? What about grab handles for the toilet?

Also, with regard to dressing, what about elastic trousers and Velcro shoes that I actually use as slip ons?

I am not concerned about the mobility component-I use an electric wheelchair and my walking ability is now down to 1 or 2 steps. There is a high chance I will receive 8 points for not been able to cook a meal-bad coordination. And I was expecting to pick up quite a few 2 points here and there, for tasks I can do but that I need aids for (shower chair plus what I have mentioned above).

I would be very interested if anybody can give me clarification on the above, however that’s just for my interest at this stage. The strategy I will be taking with the form is to treat all the examples above as aids-and let the DWP decide.

Thanks

Aids are anything that helps you with day to day activities.

Eg Perching stools, grab rails, shower seats, ramps, easy wear clothing, raised toilet seat, we
    t room, kettle pourer, electric can opener, thick handled cutlery . . .

It's also furniture to hold onto etc

You can also mention why you can't use certain aids. I can't use a perching stool in the kitchen because my balance isn't good, I need an arm rest for support which it doesn't have and I have no feeling in my left buttock so lean more to one side which is unstable.

Paint a graphic picture so they have an insight on how you cope.