Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Check if YOUR ESA is Contribution Based, Income Related, or Both?

Hi quick question because I'm still slightly confused.
    I have to have dental treatment in a couple of days, and I'm confused as to whether I'm on Income-Related or Contribution-Based, and I can't figure it out.
    I'm in the support group and I currently receive £254.30 every two weeks. I'm entitled to free prescriptions, but does that also include dental care?

Yes.

That payment amount and the fact you get free prescriptions says you have an IR entitlement and so are entitled to free NHS dental care.

Remember though that's basic NHS.

If your dentist is private only then it's all going to be charged.
    Dentists don't have to be/do NHS.

Some NHS stuff (usually cosmetic) is also is also above basic so you could be charged but it's a 'capped' charge so you know what it is before they start.
    Google NHS dental treatmdnt.

Any dental work done at a Hospital is not charged.

Sorry phone is playing up again.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-13-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

got it, thanks for the reply.

Thanks Nukecad for your invaluable info.I did per your instructions and worked out hubby was on Contribution ESA.I also went searching through some old brown envelopes and found a DWP letter from 02/2015 staring that he was indeed on CB .He was in the support group so he got some extra money to top the living allowance up.. letter from feb 2015
    Living expenses 73.10
    extra money for being in support group 36.10
    =109.30

No income will be taken off your ESA

Your income related amount is £109.30 less £0.00 =£109.30

However because you are you are entitled to CB ESA and Support Allowance we will pay you £190.48

Top up payment
    Included in your Employment and support allowance entitlement £81.18
    is a top up payment which ensures you won't see a reduction in the level of benefit entitlement as a result of the change to ESA

We had to pay CT and for prescriptions.

This letter was back in Feb 2015 to come into effect April 2015.

Hi Noisynoodle,
    just want to say thank you for replying. I couldn't work out which ESA I was on! Nice of you to reach out. Take care.

Hi Nukecad,
    Yes, the figures match and true, the letters are confusing but finally I understand which ESA I am getting! Thank you for your time and generosity in sharing your knowledge. It means a lot to me.

"Transfers from Incapacity Benefit. (Also see the note at the bottom).
    If you were transferred to ESA from Incapacity Benefit then your ESA started as Contribution Based.
    1.If you transferred from IB to Support Group then it remains Contribution Based for as long as you are in Support Group.
    2.If you transferred from IB to WRAG then it is only Contribution Based for 52 weeks, it then changes to Income Related if you qualify by low or no income/savings.
    However if you are later reassessed from WRAG into Support Group it becomes Contribution Based again"

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Thank you for your post, partly quoted above.

Can I ask,

I was migrated from IB contribution based 5 years ago to ESA CB initially put in wrag but on MR put in support group where I have been ever since.

Going through a reassessment at the moment. If I am put into wrag I will ask for MR and then appeal.
    If I am still in wrag after appeal I understand that ESA payments lasts for a year, as you have posted above.

Now I am not entitled to Universal Credit, If my condition was to get worse after year or later can I ask to be be reassessed and if they put me back in support group, would I receive ESA money?

I did ask this on a different forum and was told I wouldn't get anything because of something called new ESA and a 12 week linking rule.

So if anyone more knowledgeable than me knows I would appreciate it very much.
    Many thanks.
    John
    Last edited by johnsmi; 08-16-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Looking back I see that you were transfered from IB back in 2013, initially WRAG but changed to SG on MR.
    And that you have income from an occupational pension and some savings which is presumably why you wouldn't qualify for IE ESA.

You can avoid UC in that situation. (at least for now until Managed Migration affects us all).
    If CB ESA WRAG ran out after 52 weeks you would be able to use an ESA3 form to transfer to 'NI Credits Only' IR ESA with no actual payment, to protect your future state pension, and more importantly keep you ESA ongoing.
    This is not a new claim, it is a 'change of circumstances' to an existing claim so is allowed without trigering migration to UC.
    If you later got reassessed into SG then it could be paid again as CB ESA.

Alternatively you could make a brand new claim for 'NI Credits only' UC once the CB ESA WRAG ran out. (and no doubt they would try to push you that way).
    You should be able to carry your WRAG status over to UC-LCW 'credits only' and so avoid the jobseeking requirements.
    The downside to that is that once on UC you cannot go back to Old Style ESA.
    If awarded the equivalent of SG, UC-LCWRA, it would still be UC and still not payable because of your savings.
    Sounds unfair, but whoever said the government/DWP were fair.

NOTE- The situation of Child Tax Credits for your Autistic son complicates this in your case, and it could be that some UC would be payable for the UC equivalent of those.
    But overall I think staying on Credits Only ESA would be the way to go.

'New Style ESA' is for brand new claims only, and you would not have the 'paid' NI contributions to be able to claim it.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-17-2018 at 05:03 PM.

This is interesting. When I was caring for Mum I got Carers Allowance and Income Support. Because I had DLA I had a disability premium. However, when mum went into a home my IS stopped and due to being very ill and having my foot issue, I had to claim ESA. But because my partner works I can only claim CB SG, as my stamps were paid all the years I was a carer.

However, going back to the IS; I had a disability premium, which they said I couldn't have with my ESA because I was CB. I was told to claim ESA.

To be totally honest, I have never been so poor in my life as when I was given ESA. My partner doesn't have loads of spare money and I had to pay for prescriptions and dental work. Since my thyroid diagnosis I get free meds, but not dental work. Due to our council demanding we have to have adaptions to our home to get subsidised Council Tax for me, OH has to pay the full whack for me too. We rent, (I don't get housing benefit), privately and we are not allowed to adapt our home. We can't even put picture hooks up.

I don't know where I have gone with this really but I used to get a disability premium but now I don't and I have actually lost out on quite a few things and my disabilities have got worse.

That may sound odd but it's correct.

You can only get the disability premiums with an IR benefit.
    IS is one such benefit.

Normally you couldn't claim IS with a working partner, but being a carer and having CA would have overriden this.

Once your caring role stopped so did your CA and your eligibilty for IS.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-17-2018 at 05:54 PM.