Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Check if YOUR ESA is Contribution Based, Income Related, or Both?

Hello Nukecad, can you advise me on my situation please, i appreceiate all the advise youve already given here, but im foggy about my personal situation, i had been in the support group for over a decade but on my latest assesment was placed in wrag, i did the MR and was unsuccessful and kept in wrag, i,m too ill to fight anymore and just accepted it, and then i got a letter advising me that in september my contribution based esa would end, and i dont know what will happen next, will they just stop my benefit?. my wife is a pensioner, and i,m worried sick.
    Thanks H

That's right, after 52 weeks in WRAG then CB ESA stops being paid.

What happens then depends on what your situation is now.
    If you already have an IR ESA entitlement then you should keep getting paid the same but it will be all IR rather than part IR and part CB.
    The easiest way to check that is ask if you were getting any Disability Premium whilst you were in Support Group? (It would be called 'Disability Income Guarantee' on your Support Group award letters).

If you didn't/don't already have an IR entitlement then you apply for one using form ESA3. They should send you one automatically (usually with that letter) but don't always.
    As long as your partner isn't working more than 24 hrs/week, and you don't have savings/capital of over £16,000 then you should qualify for IR ESA and be paid that.
    If you have a private pension or other income that could affect the amount of IR ESA you would get.
    (NOTE- They may try to push you to claim UC, tell them you want an ESA3 instead - if you are elligible to claim UC then you are elligible to stay on ESA by means of the ESA3).

If you could let us know a few more things then we may be able to be clearer.
    I see from an earlier post that you were a migration from IB to ESA SG. (Which may have it's own issues, but let's leave that for now).
    How much were you getting paid when you were last in support group?
    Is your partner working / do you have high savings or capital?
    Do you or your partner claim any other benefits, particularly DLA/PIP or Carers Allowance?
    (There may be more but those will do to start).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for your reply & info Nukecad, i,ll dig out the paperwork and check it out.

Hi Nuke & HarryO, Can I start by saying am glad that Nuke is back & (although not read too many other posts yet) hope that it was just the 1 night in hospital recently for observation?! Hope nothing untoward in results & hope your back in local hugging pint glass :-)

I just wanted to comment that these are the posts that I enjoy and look forward to reading describing members situations which you can then compare your own to. Mine is different but will no doubt post in future what we should be expecting as regards this cloud hanging that is UC in its current form. However, there are so many groups kicking up stink regards many points on UC and how it should be changed (or at best bloody scrapped). Look forward to reading rest and await member/newbie who in same situation as I am to compare etc.

Eitherway, sure HarryO knows he has come to right place :-)

Hi spencer, I'm fine the reduced dosage of bisoporol is doing the job and my heartrate is back up into the mid 60s, where it should be, rather than down in the low 40s.
    Having a few days off the beer just to let things settle.

PS. If anyone wants a simple heartrate monitor I'm using this on my mobile. It's easy to use and was accurate to the 'wired up' monitors in the CCU:
    You dont need anything else but your phone, it uses the flash and camera lens and you cover both with the same finger, it works a bit like one of those pulse/ox things they clip on your finger in hospital.
    http://heartrateplus.pvdapps.com/

I've been keeping quiet on UC news for a bit, there some important meetings coming up next week about the draft migration legislation, but TBH it's all a bit speculation and shouting at the moment so best to let it settle down.

Hi. Can someone help please. In 2011 i was transferred from Incapacity benefit to Esa. I got contributions based for 52 weeks, then after the 52 weeks I got put on income related wrag. After being reassessed after quite a while, they then put me in the support group but income related. Should I have not been put in contribution based rather put in the income related group. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lfc1964 View Post
    Hi. Can someone help please. In 2011 i was transferred from Incapacity benefit to Esa. I got contributions based for 52 weeks, then after the 52 weeks I got put on income related wrag. After being reassessed after quite a while, they then put me in the support group but income related. Should I have not been put in contribution based rather put in the income related group. Thanks.
    If your ESA started as Contribution Based then it should be Contribution Based at anytime that you are in Support Group.

But the letters they send are very confusing and it's quite probable that you are have CB ESA with an IR ESA top-up. (Disability premiums are IR).
    In those circumstances they don't mention the CB bit on the letters as they say it would confuse people.

So reading the letter you may think you only have IR ESA, when in fact you have CB ESA with an IR top-up.

Which was the whole reason for starting this thread.
    Try reading the very first post again.

Ok thank you for your help

There will be Transitional Protection (details to be announced) so that you will not end up with less money when migrating.[/QUOTE]

Then why is the lovely Esther Louise McVey (she is good looking and hot) going around saying that some people will get less money

Quote Originally Posted by StueyR View Post
    There will be Transitional Protection (details to be announced) so that you will not end up with less money when migrating.

Then why is the lovely Esther Louise McVey (she is good looking and hot) going around saying that some people will get less money
    Because a lot of people (like my OH) get working tax credits at present, but from doing online calculation won't be entitled to UC at all.....presumably there's no transitional protection if you fail to qualify. We will lose around £200 a month when it finally happens.