Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Check if YOUR ESA is Contribution Based, Income Related, or Both?

The problem is if you send by post, it can take weeks for it to be scanned as arrived. If you want it it as fast as possible then do it by phone.

Once it goes through to processing, it can be a wait of months for it to be processed by a DM.

Hello im new here,

i just got a letter arrived today and i wasn't sure what is all meaning

i remember on July 2013 my SDA changed to support group and on income-related ESA then i forgot all about it until i noticed today by letter said i'm on Contribution based as i don't understand

also my letter said

Your Living expresses £71.70

Limited capability for work addition

extra money because you are in the Support Group £34.80

Which gives a total income-related amount £106.50

Income Benefits

no income will taken off your Employment and Support Allowance

Your income-related amount is £106.50 less £0.00 so you would have been entitled to £106.50

However because you are entitled to contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance we will pay you £106.50

This amounts on this page apply from 24 July 2013 to 26 November 2013.

but still i'm confused

Changes in the Employment and Support Allowance Rates payable

We have looked at your claim again following a recent change.

From 8 April 2019 the rates of some Social Security benefits may change.

From 24 July 2013 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £106.50 a week.

From 9 April 2014 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £108.15 a week.

From 8 April 2015 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £109.30 a week.

From 12 April 2017 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £109.65 a week.

From 11 April 2018 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £110.75 a week.

From 29 August 2018 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £163.15 a week.

From 10 April 2019 your Employment and Support Allowance will be £165.30 a week.

We will pay £1257.60 Employment and Support Allowance into Your Account.
    The First payment includes arrears of £1257.60 that are due from 29 August 2018 to February 2019.

that why i'm all confused

and i am Deaf and i should be Enhanced Disability Premium.

i hope u can help me if this all wrong or right i don't know.

Thanks
    Last edited by DeafBSL; 02-27-2019 at 07:05 PM.

I'll need to look at it when I get home to check the amounts.
    I'm on my phone right now.

But it looks like a fairly standard "we have corrected our error" letter.
    They don't like to admit it was an error so say it's a "change"

As you say, you should have been getting EDP, and they are now going to backpay what you should have been paid.
    They say they will give you £1257.60 backpay.

There may, or may not, be more backpayments to come, they often pay in more than one lot .

The money you get every fortnight will also go up.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I'll need to look at it when I get home to check the amounts.
    I'm on my phone right now.

But it looks like a fairly standard "we have corrected our error" letter.
    They don't like to admit it was an error so say it's a "change"

As you say, you should have been getting EDP, and they are now going to backpay what you should have been paid.
    They say they will give you £1257.60 backpay.

There may, or may not, be more backpayments to come, they often pay in more than one lot .

The money you get every fortnight will also go up.
    ok no problem i will be around here.

yes in the letter never say more than one or it one off backpay

I'm back on my computer now, and I'm pretty sure that you were not on Income Related ESA.

I'll have to check just what the rules were for a transfer to ESA from SDA (rather than a transfer from Incapacity Benefit), but the payments seem clear enough.

The payments stated for each year was the correct amount for Contribution Based ESA in the Support Group.

What the DWP are saying is that they have reviewed your claim and you should have also had Income Related ESA, as well as the Contribution Based ESA -that should have paid extra in the form of the Enhanced Disability Premium.

In your case that would mean that they should have been paying you the Enhanced Disability Premium, but they haven't been paying it.
    So you are due some backpay, which they are now paying.

Without knowing more about your particular circumstances, any Transitional Addition?, savings? working partner? DLA/PIP? it's not possible to fully work it out.
    (Which is why they send/sent you a questionaire about all that).

The fact that they have sent you a letter about making a backpayment (arrears) says that you are owed money and they are paying it.

I would expect that you are owed more, but without knowing your particular circumstances, as mentioned above, can't say for sure.

As I said above, it may be that they are paying in more than one lot.
    They do this because their rules say that 'local' offices can only pay so much in one payment, otherwise it has to go for authorisation by a special office.
    So it's quicker and easier for them to give the backpay in smaller payments.

If you can tell us more about any Transitional Addition?, savings? working partner? DLA/PIP? that you may have had then it may be able to work out just how much you should be owed.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-27-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I'm back on my computer now, and I'm pretty sure that you were not on Income Related ESA.

I'll have to check just what the rules were for a transfer to ESA from SDA (rather than a transfer from Incapacity Benefit), but the payments seem clear enough.

The payments stated for each year was the correct amount for Contribution Based ESA in the Support Group.

What the DWP are saying is that they have reviewed your claim and you should have also had Income Related ESA, as well as the Contribution Based ESA -that should have paid extra in the form of the Enhanced Disability Premium.

In your case that would mean that they should have been paying you the Enhanced Disability Premium, but they haven't been paying it.
    So you are due some backpay, which they are now paying.

Without knowing more about your particular circumstances, any Transitional Addition?, savings? working partner? DLA/PIP? it's not possible to fully work it out.
    (Which is why they send/sent you a questionaire about all that).

The fact that they have sent you a letter about making a backpayment (arrears) says that you are owed money and they are paying it.

I would expect that you are owed more, but without knowing your particular circumstances, as mentioned above, can't say for sure.

As I said above, it may be that they are paying in more than one lot.
    They do this because their rules say that 'local' offices can only pay so much in one payment, otherwise it has to go for authorisation by a special office.
    So it's quicker and easier for them to give the backpay in smaller payments.

If you can tell us more about any Transitional Addition?, savings? working partner? DLA/PIP? that you may have had then it may be able to work out just how much you should be owed.
    Thank You For reply.

i don't have any saying on the letter about Transitional Addition.
    No savings.
    No working partner
    Only Low rate DLA/ still waiting for PIP

Right, I believe I have worked out what they have done.

Although there may be something slightly odd here.

I hadn't noticed, when on my phone before, but that figure they give from 29 August 2018 (£163.15), and the figure from 10 April 2019 (£165.30), show that since 29 August 2018 they are paying you both the Enhanced Disability Premium and the Carer Premium.

They have given you 24 weeks backpay of those 2 premiums, which makes the £1257.60.
    And they are saying they will continue to pay you both.

The figures from the years before don't show any premiums being payable/paid.

Did you start caring for someone in August 2018? Did you claim Carers Allowance?

Can I also ask whether you recently, last six months or so, had a form/questionaire called an ESA3 (IBR).
    Presumably if you had someone would have filled it in for you and they may not have told you the number but you probably remember a long questionaire?

It may well be that you are due another letter about backpay of the EDP only from July 2013 to August 2018.