Thread: universal credit + lcwra

universal credit + lcwra

Hi everyone , please can someone help me with a problem, ive been on long term sick for a year now & I was on ssp till December then changed onto u/c since . u/c are aware of my illness , the job centre put me on no work or work related activity in my commitments & since start of my u/c ive been sending in fit notes. it wasn't until last month an advisor at u/c told me I shud've had a form sent out within 4 wks of my u/c claim which oddly enough I never got till I requested it last month .... I've filled it in and sent it off and rang u/c to ask about a physical assesment & how long it takes the lady told me I may not have to go for a ftf assement it depends on if they have enough information already ( I sent them a letter off hospital with a diagnosis etc ) is this all correct .... also I've been told several things about back payment by u/c .... 1. it will be backdated from day I send in fit notes 2. it'll be backdated from 4 wks of putting in fit notes 3. it'll be backdated from the 14th wk of putting in fit notes... so confused now please can anyone clarify which is correct ..... thank u ????

Hi kat,

So you have now sent off your UC50 and are waiting to hear if they want to see you f2f, all fairly normal apart from the delay sending you the UC50 and that wont make much difference.

Once you have had the F2F if you have one, you probably will, then a Decision Maker decides if you are fit-for-work, have Limited Capability for Work (LCW), or have Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity (LCWRA).

If you don't agree with that decision you can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration, if the MR changes nothing then you can go to an independent appeal.

There will only be backpay to consider if you are awarded LCWRA.
    The rule with UC is that LCWRA is backpaid to the start of the 3rd UC 'monthly assessment period' following when you started submitting fit-notes.
    So depending just when in your particular 'monthly assessment period' you started sending in fit notes that could be 12 weeks after you started sending notes, or 16 weeks or anywhere inbetween.

PS.
    I note that you mention sending in your hospital diagnosis.
    You must remember that your Work Capability Assessment is not about any diagnosis or any condition (unless it's terminal).
    The WCA is all about your ability to do any work, any evidence of diagnosis or condition is only evidence to back up that (lack of) ability.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

hi nukecad thank u for replying so quickly ... when I rang the u/c 2 wks ago they said it's with a decision maker now & I asked when would have a ftf assesment & they said that's based on my condition & the evidence I sent with the form & down to the decision maker . I know it's a lengthy process but can't believe 6 months after first going on u/c due to ill health I had to ask for the form .... that's wrong as I believe those I'll shudnt have the added stress of chasing forms that we should have been given in the 1st place ..... I'm just waiting now to hear bck ... fingers crossed

ps : hate asking for help or claiming benefits but it's outta my hands as my condition cannot be cure only managed

I'm not entirely sure if the process with UC is exactly the same as with ESA (I will find out but it will take time).

But if your case is with a Decision Maker then you probably will not be asked to a F2F now.
    (It is still possible but pretty unlikely).
    Your form/evidence will already have been to CHDA (the assessors) and they will have made a recommendation and sent it back to the DWP DM.
    So you are just waiting for the DM to get his finger out and make a decision.

I agree that they made a mistake with not sending out the UC50 till you asked, but as said above it won't make any difference to the final award, or what you (eventually) get paid.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

thank you so appreciate your help . yes like I said when I rang and asked her about the ftf her exact words were it's with the decision maker ... so with what you said it sounds like I just have to wait now .... and yes irrespective of when I got the form I know any money owed would be backdated .... thank you so much as this has put my mind at ease x

Quote Originally Posted by kat123 View Post
    hi nukecad thank u for replying so quickly ... when I rang the u/c 2 wks ago they said it's with a decision maker now & I asked when would have a ftf assesment & they said that's based on my condition & the evidence I sent with the form & down to the decision maker . I know it's a lengthy process but can't believe 6 months after first going on u/c due to ill health I had to ask for the form .... that's wrong as I believe those I'll shudnt have the added stress of chasing forms that we should have been given in the 1st place ..... I'm just waiting now to hear bck ... fingers crossed

ps : hate asking for help or claiming benefits but it's outta my hands as my condition cannot be cure only managed
    Hiya kat, I had the same issue with UC. I had to move onto UC on February 2019. I called them after a few weeks to ask about the process of applying for a WCA and they told me it was a lengthy process but I should get a UC50 form soon which by the end of June I still had not received. I called them at the start of July and they told me they sent the form out in March which I never received and to be honest I don’t believe that they ever sent. I was having major issues with my case worker not passing in vital information about my illness and housing benefit which came close to me getting evicted. After getting my brother to ring them on my behalf around August time, he found out that my case worker had not looked at any comments asking for updates and vital information I had put on my journal. I put in a formal complaint and the next thing you know I got the UC50 form and got my housing benefit sorted. They are a disgrace, it was bad enough having to deal with my disability and the stress they have put me threw having to worry about things that should have been dealt with promptly.
    I hope you get sorted soon.