Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warmfront

Hi barbie, just for clarification SSE do offer warm home discount. It is just that there scheme isn't yet open!

A further matter that also has to be looked at when moving to other non big 6, is if the 'other' utility co., offer the WHD. Although the £140 offered gets smaller every year, due to inflation, and God know how many rises in charges of 'costs', must be remembered, it is still helping many pay bills at worst time of year (again, still do not know why the 'credit' cannot be applied to accounts at beginning of winter, as oppose to end of March, as many do, but there are quite a few customers, who due to whatever reasons do not receive their bills at end of March!).

So, those doing comparison of costs, many should remember to include the £140.00 WHD into the calculations. I cannot see, if any at all, would be able to save over £140.00 when comparing, but then that I simply my input as I can and have nly been able to compare prices using figures for smaller properties (which I would suggest quite a few members reside).

Thank you Barbie..whilst searching for when SSE do open 2018/19 scheme I came across

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...IdJH1aV-AEFm0g

which should give a link to google and a click away from list of companies that do offer the Warm Home Discount. For confirmation, the website is

'powercompare.co.uk/whd'

halfway down page it give info on energy suppliers who offer the WHD (done my request for me) with links to those companies

'The following energy companies offer the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

Atlantic: Apply via SSE. You need to fill-in an online form to register your interest.
    Bristol Energy: Only if you’re eligible for the ‘core group’, find out more here.
    British Gas: Need to apply for the scheme each year. Learn more here.
    Co-operative energy: Can register your interest online.
    Economy Energy: Can register your intersest on their website.
    EDF Energy: Closed for 2017/18 and information for 2018/19 will be posted on their website during the summer.
    E.ON: Can register your interest for next winter on their website.
    Extra Energy: Can apply on their website.
    First Utility: Closed for 2017/18 but can register interest for 2018/19 on their website.
    Fischer Energy: Only if you’re eligible for the winter 2017 to 2018 ‘core group’.
    Flow Energy: Need to be a customer to be eligible and can apply online.
    GB Energy: (see Co-operative energy above)
    Manweb: (see ScottishPower below)
    M&S Energy: Apply via SSE (see below).
    npower: Can apply online or by phone.
    Our Power: Only if you’re eligible for the ‘core group.’
    OVO: Can pre-register online via their website.
    Sainsbury’s Energy: See British Gas above
    Scottish Gas: See British Gas above
    Scottish Hydro: See SSE below
    ScottishPower: Currently closed for 2017/18 and no information on their website for 2018/19 at the time of publication.
    Southern Electric: See SSE below.
    Spark Energy No information for 2018/19 available, beyond saying that: “The Warm Home Discount is likely to run again next year in the autumn of 2018, pending government approval.” More on their website.
    SSE: Now registering interest for winter 2018/19 online via their website.
    SWALEC: See SSE above
    Utilita: Currently closed for 2017/18 and no information for 2018/19 on their website.
    Utility Warehouse: Applications for 2017/18 closed and no information about next winter on their website.'

Hope above is of help for the forthcoming winter.

1 last point I would make is, even if you don't think you are eligible, urge you to still apply, they can only say no & you never know, you may fit into 1 of the categories allowing you access to the scheme. Please, do not make same mistake as a friend of ours who missed out on years of applications (= to many £100's of pounds) as they thought they were not eligible. Kept telling them year on year apply. If you are not eligible, they will tell you.

My philosophy now is claim anything that you think you might be entitled to .As Spencer has said they can only say no but remember they can say yes as well.

I told some friends who we see in the pub when we go for coffee if they had claimed attendance allowance for man friend because he has a host of things wrong with him and he can no longer function daily without help.They didn't know anything about AA so I pointed them in the right direction.When we saw them last week they were in a state of shock because they had got the full award.I told them now that the wife has to put in for CA.They have worked all their lives paid there dues and demands and IMHO they are due to get something back.

Absolutely, BarbieJ. Good stuff and great news on helping the couple you mention assist another with AA )have to admit, there are many that do not know about this).

Have always done the same, helping and pointing out to people we know that they maybe entitled to more help than they are already or not receiving. Couple of examples were neighbour diagnosed with end stage cancer. Explained no matter what his income he was entitled to DLA high rate for both using DS1500. DLA wrote back sying the application may take 12 weeks as they needed further info (I was so angry and incensed as the time I really wanted to get on the phone to them and give them what for) WHAT! After an lengthy, detailed email to them (after I had calmed down) within 24 hours neighbour received letter confirming entitlement with premiums and that backdated pay had been credited to his account.

Another neighbour was waiting to be transfered from DLA to PIP as he is hard of hearing and was worried about being turned down as there was not a grerat deal regarding otherwise physically & mentally 'fit', and his only problem was his hearing. I explained that he should still be entitled to some element of PIP after showing him and his wife examples online where others similar to his case had successfully received. Anyway, I pointed him to legal experts who I had known due to my own PIP transfer, and as I told him he may initially be turned down but must continue with application through MR and if needed tribunal.

Cut a long story short after almost a year, and I have to say with the fantastic help of the north west based group who assisted from the outset, eventually he was awarded PIP with a nice backdated payment!

Always try and help people we know as well as those here. Pity UC is not as simple (well, to me it isn't) as other 'benefits', but that is to say it is still too early to even try and get into the nitty gritty of UC until we know exactly where it is going!

PS...Just realised we are going off topic with regard to WHD...apologies.

Spencer British Gas usually credit our account sometime in January.When it hits the account we turn the heating up and alter the clock so it stays on longer.

Sorry about going off topic in an earlier post .I hold my hands up it was completely my fault.

Hi Barbie, No need for apology to me as I was also part of discussion. Was mainly for other readers 'clicking' on title, but also of view that content of our discussion, if read to the end of post, will also be helpful.

The main point should be that, even if you do not think you are eligible/entitled to Warm Home Discount, for help with electric bill over winter period, it is certainly worth applying...resulting in, is succesful, for a few minutes 'work', could be getting £140.00 towards elec bill. Surely, it has got to be worth as shot...what's the worst that could happen...you get refused & you've lost less than 5 minutes of your time.

Hey guys. nice work on the list spencer
    I think this link should be added to the top of the list you made Spencer.
    Warm home discount Qualifying criteria

Just spoke with my supplier EDF, and applications open 15th September.
    I dont qualify on income grounds but do on PIP ESA Support group and disabled grounds. The grant is paid by the provider, not the Govt, and it is up to them who gets it.

Hi Stree, good point and reminds me that really should have added that it is also awarded on a 1st come 1st served basis. So, the earlier WHD is applied for the better chance you have of getting the £140.00 assistance.

It is also really important to take your time and read all of the eligibility rules to apply...although still advise apply anyway even if you think you don't fit categories! I say this as friend who finally accepted that they were eligible, had only read 1st line/ule of 1 application which said...'groups who have income of over £16,000 are not eligible' but he failed to read on and missed the disability groups and those who are on benefits. He didn't realise the £16k applied to employed group!