Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spammers are Back

Spammers are Back

Time the security and filters were updated . A couple yesterday and two more today. Before we know it we will be inundated with them yet again

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Time the security and filters were updated . A couple yesterday and two more today. Before we know it we will be inundated with them yet again
    Always seems to be at the weekend, had it on another site today.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelob View Post
    Always seems to be at the weekend, had it on another site today.
    Two reasons for that -

The mods/admin here work office hours so there is no one to remove spam over the weekend.

The spammers are often students/schoolkids making a bit of pocket money at weekends.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

On here the mods only work Mon to Fri office hours.
    In theory if the site's security and filters are updated regularly then spammers should not be able to register.
    Several months ago it was a nightmare on here, more spam posts than genuine posts. Many members left because of it.

Two more spammers today
    My advice is NOT to even look at the posts, they are easily recognised, just delete them.

Mods please act on getting the security and filters up to date before the site is inundated again.

And the spam posts in this section are still here days after being posted.

I did report some but gave up in the end as nothing seemed to be done.
    I have also contacted DLF via their email system but they have not even had the courtesy to reply. Time they got their finger out and showed some respect to their members by keeping the forum spam free.

From my experience elsewhere I can see that what is getting through is a small fraction of the attempts being made at the moment.

No forum is ever going to be totally spam free.
    (Even Malwarebytes who's business is stopping nasties gets spam attacks on their foum and some of it gets through).

Even without moderator access here I can see that the spam filters are working to block most attempts.

The removal of those that are getting through is a different issue, which could be improved.

But they are pretty obvious so just ignore them.
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-12-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Six more this morning, one tagged onto an existing thread. They are breeding rapidly.
    The time of the year is approaching when we will be overwhelmed by them

Yup reported a couple this morning, hopefully they'll (the spammers) will go soon. Didn't know the mods only worked office hours, learned something new there lol.