Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spammers are Back

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    The time of the year is approaching when we will be overwhelmed by them
    It always get heavier coming up to Christmas.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Time for me to back out for awhile again.
    I've only just started popping in from the last deluge.
    Sea Queen

A massive influx during today

Pity we couldn't have volunteer mods or something

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathie83 View Post
    Pity we couldn't have volunteer mods or something
    I've offered in the past to help remove spam posts at evenings/weekends, and offered again yesterday.
    (I've been modding elsewhere for over ten years).

A potential problem with that is that if someone is getting paid to mod then creating unpaid volunteer mods could be seen as 'Job Substitution'.
    This may/will be resisted because other staff will fear they may be replaced by volunteers.
    It can be a tricky subject, - would you be happy if you were dismissed and replaced with an unpaid volunteer?
    (It could even lead to unfair dismissal claims).
    https://www.thebalancesmb.com/nonpro...nteers-2502582

Of course if they were to offer to pay me for removing spam posts and banning spammers........
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-14-2018 at 06:24 AM.

To be honest, I too would be willing to help remove spammers but never thought of offering.
    Not only the fact of jobs being at risk it may be because certain permissions are needed to access the site to be able to do this.
    The permissions needed may allow access to things they don't want us to see.

Beau probably already knows this, but for those who have never been a mod and wonder how it works. (Without giving away too much).

With vBulletin you can set different levels of moderator permissions, eg. Mods and Supermods.

Mods usually just have rights for a specific sub-forum(s) and usually have restricted rights, ie. maybe closing/reopening, editing, 'sticking', moving, or removing posts from view, - but not permanently deleting them, or removing whole threads, or banning users.
    Just what rights they are allowed is set by the Forum Administrator.
    Typically different volunteer mods will look after different sub-forums.
    This is usually done by an extra 'Administrative' menu option in the thread itself that only mods can see and access.
    Attachment 2017

Supermods can usually mod all forums, do everything a mod can, plus - delete posts entirely, approve/disapprove posts and attachments that the filters have flagged, (the 2 I've put here will need to be approved before you can see them), remove whole threads, and ban users.
    They can do some of this in the thread, but for other actions they log into a special Moderators Control Panel that lets them carry out these tasks.
    Attachment 2018

And of course neither type of mod has full admin rights.
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-14-2018 at 07:29 AM.

I spend most of my time on the laptop, watching the forum I mod on. Nothing gets past for very long keeping the site clear. Of course there are other mods too, all volunteers as it is a privately run support forum for specific survivors. I am only missing off that site for 2 or 3 hours in an afternoon or at times when I have appointments.

Even though I say it myself that forum is very well run.

I also am a Mod on two sites - voluntary.
    Wouldn't want paying.
    I can add new members ( facebook) on the forum I delete spam posts until the admin gets on on blocks the spammers.

For a large forum which is much needed I think more thought needs going into what has been happening and how it would best be resolved.
    Sea Queen

SQ, on the forum I moderate on I have the permissions to block spammers.