Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Spammers are Back

Let's hope the mods figure it soon, cos it's flippin' depressing logging in each morning to 10+ pages of spam :/

I've got a new insight into the spambot that was/is spamming here.

A website I moderate has recently opened again for new member registrations. (They had been suspended for a while).
    Within 2 days of reopening we have been subject to a bot attack, from the same bot that was/is doing it here.
    (It's obvious from the posts and the methods used that it's the same bot, I even recognise the usernames it's using).

I'm not sure what we have configured differently there, but the spam there is getting moderated so it cannot be seen by regular members, it can only be seen by the mods.
    ie. If I log in there as a regular member I don't see any spam, when I log in as a mod I can see 250+ 'essay writing' spam posts from last night.

I've asked the admistrator there if he is willing to share what moderation filters he has in place, and I'll let the admin here know.

Being a mod there I can now see more details of email addresses, IP addresses, etc. that it is using.

(I believe I've already spotted one route it is using which could be blocked to stop it. Unfortunately it's not an ideal fix. I'll keep checking now that I can see it with a moderators access).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

An interesting development.

Because the spam was getting 100% moderated at the other forum I didn't ban the usernames (so I could look for patterns).
    Sure enough he was back the next night using the same 3 names to make 300+ spam posts, all of which got moderated by the filters.

BUT the night after that, and up to now, he has not been back.
    Presumably he had checked and seen that every one of his posts were being caught and so gave up (at least for now).

I have passed on to the admin here what spam filter is being used over there.

I hope that admin takes notice and puts that filter into play.

TBH that particular bot has not been here either, or at least not on view to members.

So whatever they have already put in place seems to have done the trick for now.

Of course you don't discuss what measures you are using on an open forum, that would just be tipping off the spammers.

There are still a few old 'essay writing' spam posts left in view here if you search, they've probably been missed because they are blogs not forum posts.

Not been up early enough to see the spammers of late but I was today.
    Loads of genuine threads disrupted by them today.
    Got beyond the ridiculous now.
    I have come to the conclusion that DLF do not care about this site and the help that those in need of advice is not important.
    Are they in cahoots with DWP to make sure that help and advice is not given so folk lose their essential entitlement to benefits.

That's going a bit far.

They are spambots, they are not bothered what the forum is about.
    The same essay writing one that was here also bombarded the AutoCad forum I moderate, which is hardly of interest to the DWP.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    That's going a bit far.
    Yes I agree but just hoping to wake DLF up and encourage them to do something.
    I know you have tried to point them in the right direction regarding spam protection but it appears that no notice has been taken.

Well one issue is the "Essex problem" when filtering posts.

Take todays spam as an example.

Pharmacy, drugs, medication, erection, erectile, etc., all words that we can permanently filter for on a technical forum.
    But they could be in genuine use here, to a greater or lesser extent, (pharmacy and medication especially) so can't really be filtered without possibly causing disruption to genuine members.
    I even remember one genuine thread about erectile problems...