Thread: Moving out of my parent's house - ESA

Moving out of my parent's house - ESA

Hello. I'm currently 19 years old and I've been claiming income related ESA for nearly two years due to depression and social anxiety. I'm currently having some issues at home with my parents and it's becoming increasingly uncomfortable to remain living here, so I'd like to look into moving out. Obviously the issue is money, and although I'd love to get a job and support myself, I doubt I'd be able to hold one down for very long due to sporadic depressive phases.

Would it be at all feasible to do this? How much would housing benefit cover?

I'm fairly new to this, so forgive my ignorance.

Thank you.

What you get in benefits now will be what you get when living alone as far as the ESA/IS goes. So it will of course have to cover food, household costs, gas and electricity, water etc. The only way you might be able to get a bit more is if you could get some DLA, which could be worth a try.
    But as far as rent is concerned you would probably need to be in a one bedroom Council or Housing Association property - or a hostel - to get full Housing Benefit. Private rents often aren't covered in full by benefit because they tend to be higher - and can therefore be over the Local Councils' rent 'cap'.
    You can ask your Local Council what their benefit cap level is first. Then consider your options, which might include approaching MIND or MENCAP in your area to see if they have any properties you could afford - or look for a room in a shared house (where bills are included making it easier to budget). It would also be good to get on Council and other housing waiting lists as soon as possible. Some Councils have plenty of single person flats.
    When you do find a place you can apply for a grant and/or loan from the Social Fund to help with any moving costs and with essential furniture and appliances, but there is no guarantee about what they might allow you. Counil properties are always unfurnished - rooms and hostels are usually furnished.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Hello. I'm currently 19 years old and I've been claiming income related ESA for nearly two years due to depression and social anxiety. I'm currently having some issues at home with my parents and it's becoming increasingly uncomfortable to remain living here, so I'd like to look into moving out. Obviously the issue is money, and although I'd love to get a job and support myself, I doubt I'd be able to hold one down for very long due to sporadic depressive phases.

Would it be at all feasible to do this? How much would housing benefit cover?

I'm fairly new to this, so forgive my ignorance.

Thank you.
    under new rules that came in Jan 2012 you can only claim for a room if under 35 years old.............see shelter for info

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...u_are_under_35

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    What you get in benefits now will be what you get when living alone as far as the ESA/IS goes. So it will of course have to cover food, household costs, gas and electricity, water etc. The only way you might be able to get a bit more is if you could get some DLA, which could be worth a try.
    But as far as rent is concerned you would probably need to be in a one bedroom Council or Housing Association property - or a hostel - to get full Housing Benefit. Private rents often aren't covered in full by benefit because they tend to be higher - and can therefore be over the Local Councils' rent 'cap'.
    You can ask your Local Council what their benefit cap level is first. Then consider your options, which might include approaching MIND or MENCAP in your area to see if they have any properties you could afford - or look for a room in a shared house (where bills are included making it easier to budget). It would also be good to get on Council and other housing waiting lists as soon as possible. Some Councils have plenty of single person flats.
    When you do find a place you can apply for a grant and/or loan from the Social Fund to help with any moving costs and with essential furniture and appliances, but there is no guarantee about what they might allow you. Counil properties are always unfurnished - rooms and hostels are usually furnished.
    see the link on new rules for under 35 year olds came in jan 2012

Given the nature of your illness I would ask you to also consider trying to resolve problems with your parents, you could be jumping out the frying pan into the fire.

What would be a good move to make now then? I was told to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and ask over local housing, but I can't go on my own. I have nobody to go with me either.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    under new rules that came in Jan 2012 you can only claim for a room if under 35 years old.............see shelter for info

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    see the link on new rules for under 35 year olds came in jan 2012

This rule only applies to privately rented accommodation. It does not apply to Council or Housing Association rents.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    What would be a good move to make now then? I was told to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and ask over local housing, but I can't go on my own. I have nobody to go with me either.
    Contact Social Services ask if they can give you details of any local organizations who can go with you and assist you.

I have been in the self storage business for a while, and apart from storage horror stories, I also encounter stories of moving out from parents’ houses, similar to the issue in point out here. It is always good to be able to seek professional help on this, as it is not easy. Professional help would be able to provide a better perspective and easier transition in the process. Forums are good, but sometimes perspectives can be varying and most of the time, you will end up more confused. Professional help is still key.