Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crashed mobility car

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    Many years ago a relative "Borrowed" my brother's motorcycle without permission, my brother was at work at the time. My brother was prosecuted for aiding & abetting an uninsured driver, the magistrates were not interested & he received a year driving ban & a hefty fine through no fault of his own.
    Uninsured drivers are a menace that's why the law comes down hard on them, as the should.
    This is not a typical uninsured driver, this is someone's who misunderstood the complex small print in the insurance document, lets hope the authorities look carefully at this particular case, there is disabled person involved who is very reliant on their mobility vehicle.

Personally if I was Mobility I would return the vehicle but with a severe reprimand, I would expect the uninsured driver to compensate mobility, there is no mention of any other parties involved or who fault it was.
    I have suffered a Traumatic Subachnoid Brain Haemorrhage several years ago, I do struggle to understand quite simple as well as long postings and can be appear to be quite blunt or rude in my post it is not intentional, it is very difficult to find the right word to explain, it is just part of my condition, please except my apologise in advance, due to my injury I am also very sensitive.

The Motorbility car was involved in an accident, was there a third party ?
    This is a typical uninsured driver, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference whether the registered keeper is disabled or not.
    Very serious consequences could have occurred, I think there is more to this story than we have been told.
    Call me Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscarmax View Post
    This is not a typical uninsured driver, this is someone's who misunderstood the complex small print in the insurance document, lets hope the authorities look carefully at this particular case, there is disabled person involved who is very reliant on their mobility vehicle.

Personally if I was Mobility I would return the vehicle but with a severe reprimand, I would expect the uninsured driver to compensate mobility, there is no mention of any other parties involved or who fault it was.
    I think Motability will also want to fit a black box to the costumers car in future if they do return the car but from memory its RSA who are the harsh ones in these instances and out of Motability’s hands.

Thanks again everyone and Mike I have been very honest about what happened my sister has her own car with her own insurance fully comprehensive which she has been paying for on the day she took my brothers car here had an oil leak hence why she took his. Even though we know no she should have not. She is taking full responsibility and understands she will face a hefty fine. Their is no dishonesty here only ignorance on whether she was covered or not the police have still not been out. No one knows who was to blame as nothing has been said she accepts full blame but I wrote on here for advice for my brother my sister knows she will be punished for her act of ignorance but my brother should not as he was not aware and he would not Have allowed it it’s also caused a huge rift between them and if I told you my family’s history on bad luck then you would believe that their is no more to this story than what has been written.

Just thinking out loud...: What about her insurance, is she insured to drive other cars with her insurance? What is that insurer saying, maybe they will pay for the whole thing (sounds right, she was at fault, she has comprehensive insurance, she just needs to check the small print to see if she was still insured to drive another car), she or your brother will get a fine for misusing a motability car and everybody is happy and wiser (for the future). (Althou, if motability accepts that he didnt knew... there shouldnt be any fines I guess). I know as a motability customer I am not allowed to let anybody else that isnt on the rsa policy to drive it. I am concerned even when I see the dealer offering pickup of the vehicle for a service...
    So my advice (I have seen it here as well): honesty. have your sister speak with her insurer and hope that her insurance covers her for driving other cars. Hopefully that will mean the RSA (your brother's car insurer) wont get involved. Hopefully Motability will not be interested into investigations whether your brother knew or didnt knew.

L.E. I'm thinking that the police wont have anything to say about her taking the car without her brother's consent as long as she was insured and with a valid driving license... (as long as this wont be considered theft...)

Disclaimer... This is a forum, its not an expert's opinion. Just advices, we may be wrong, speak with the Motability and her insurance, they will be able to sort this out better than most of the opinions on a forum.
    Last edited by colin_21; 10-23-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBarlow1987 View Post
    She took it thinking she was covered by her own insurance but obviously she is not...
    Just re-read the first post to see if I missed anything. Why do you say that? Why is it obvious, some comprehensive insurances do cover you driving other cars. It's in the small print or she can find out by checking with that insurer. Other insurances lets you drive another car but with only third party cover, that would mean she has to pay for your brother's car repair.

Why do people not understand basics of car insurance?

"Comprehensive" means that the insurance covers damage to your own car as well as anything that you got.

Some policies, whether çomprehensive or not, cover driving another car WITH THE OWNER'S PERMISSION.

In the case of a Motability car, the own is Motability and not the hirer. Unless Motability have given permission, which they would not do, then there is no insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    Why do people not understand basics of car insurance?

"Comprehensive" means that the insurance covers damage to your own car as well as anything that you got.

Some policies, whether çomprehensive or not, cover driving another car WITH THE OWNER'S PERMISSION.

In the case of a Motability car, the own is Motability and not the hirer. Unless Motability have given permission, which they would not do, then there is no insurance.
    By people you mean me? I admitted I'm not an expert but your explanation didn't convinced me. I am not talking about Motability and RSA as the insurer for the vehicle that got crashed, I am talking about some insurers offering the cover of driving a different car than the one insured while still being covered. Her sister did have a comprehensive insurance for her own car, she might have been covered for driving his brother's. Yes, there are a few issues with my theory, the insurer (not RSA, the one the sister has comprehensive for her own car) might argue that in order for the insurance to be valid for this situation the car should have been "driven legally" (which arguably would exclude the taking the car without the owner's permission), but that is in the small print of the comprehensive insurance her sister has.
    Yes, from Motability and RSA's point of view there's no way they would pay for this, it clearly brakes the insurance terms and motability's own rules. So even if they would want to help in this case, they simply wouldn't be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by colin_21 View Post
    By people you mean me?
    by "People", I mean anybody who thinks that "Comprehensive" means "can drive any other car".

some insurers offering the cover of driving a different car than the one insured while still being covered
    " … With the owner's permission" - which is ALWAYS in the main policy details, not the small print.

she might have been covered for driving his brother's.
    It is not His Brother's - It is Motability's and is leased to his brother.
    Last edited by keithl; 10-27-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    by "People", I mean anybody who thinks that "Comprehensive" means "can drive any other car".

" … With the owner's permission" - which is ALWAYS in the main policy details, not the small print.

It is not His Brother's - It is Motability's and is leased to his brother.
    Keith you are correct people assume their fully comprehensive insurance mean they are fully comprehensive to drive other car with the owner permission, if it is covered in the policy it is limited to third party only, i.e. damage to other property and third party risk injury to persons.

If it not covered by your policy to drive others cars it is third party risk only i.e. it does not cover damage to property full stop just injury to persons.

A you are correct mobility are the policy holder not the mobility user, mobility insurance company are and will entitled to recover all their cost.
    I have suffered a Traumatic Subachnoid Brain Haemorrhage several years ago, I do struggle to understand quite simple as well as long postings and can be appear to be quite blunt or rude in my post it is not intentional, it is very difficult to find the right word to explain, it is just part of my condition, please except my apologise in advance, due to my injury I am also very sensitive.