Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Strange question about cycling and the law, if anyone can help (ex-Police, etc)

  1. #1

    Strange question about cycling and the law, if anyone can help (ex-Police, etc)

    Here goes.
    I am Registered Partially sighted, but would love to ride a bike again. I have been told in the past that it would be an offence for me to ride a bicycle on the Public Highway (road), obviously because of my eyesight. Which I fully accept,as I may be seen as a danger to other road users, but I am fully aware of my capabilities to ride solo at a slow pace.

    Would it also be an offence for me to ride a Mountain Bike along such places as Bridleways, as where I live, there is a mixed use Bridleway (Cyclists, Horses, etc) basically at the back of my house, part of the Trans-Pennine Bridleway. There are no vehicles on large parts of it, just maybe on a few very quiet county roads linking parts of the Bridleway. These roads are not technically public, they are private roads owned by United Utilities for access to the local reservoirs/pumping stations and also access by tenant farmers to their farms and stock, up the valleys. So would I be legally allowed to ride on those and the Bridleway or would they be still classed as an offence for me ? Just curious, more than anything, as I miss that bit of independence since my driving licence was revoked and I ended up with a Disabled National Bus Pass.

  2. #2
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Many visually impaired cyclists use private roads/tracks and the National Cycle Network.

    Tandems are popular for those with no or very limited sight, those with more sight often use a single cycle with the company of a sighted guide/helper.

    Sustrans who look after the National Cycle Network have articles and advice about visually impaired cycling:

    Try also taking a look at RNIB's website, with a search for cycling to get various articles about cycling and visual impairment, from using a cycle yourself to problems caused by having to cross cycle lanes in town centres.

    If you are intending to ride alone, or even just as a good idea, you may want to consider taking out at least third party insurance for your cycling:
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-04-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    There are clubs that specialise in getting people to 'move' all over the country called 'Cycling for all'

    Tandems are loaned out If on a running track it might only cost £2 for a go.

Similar Threads

  1. A strange update on my case for you all. Very strange!
    By NeurologicalNed in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-13-2016, 08:17 PM
  2. Subject access request to the police
    By carl30 in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM
  3. The dangers of cycling . . .
    By Lighttouch in forum Travel - help & advice on holidays and accessible travel for disabled people
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2015, 12:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM
  5. Good News but strange question? DLA
    By tony19 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts