Thread: Single person help

Single person help

I wonder if someone could help me out, someone who lives near me was telling me that they work but are only left with £50 per week and it just does not sound right. I wonder if someone could check the figures that I put into the entitledto website as it says she is entitled to help, according to her she asked for help before and was only given £35 towards her rent.

Earn £420 per calendar month, working approximately 18 per week. There is a bit if confusion over this but she is laid every month even though she doesn't work when the children are on school holidays.
    Receives £140 per month from a works pension.
    Rent is £428 per month but she receives £140 per month reduction.
    Council tax is approximately £70 per month.
    She is a 60 year old single person.
    Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

When did she ask for help before? Was it before she was 60 years old?

As she is 60 yrs old she needs only to work 16 hrs a week to be able to claim working tax credits.

https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/eligibility

For term time workers the hours she does when working are counted as being the hours she does through out the year.

So she basically needs to apply for working tax credits and if awarded then notify the council about her award as this will be counted as income as regards HB.

Is the figure you quoted as earnings before or after tax?

To make things more complicated if her area is a full service universal credit area she will have to apply for universal credit instead of working tax credit and housing benefit.

Council tax reduction is a separate benefit and she would need to apply for this separately.

To be honest my best advice is for her to go to CAB and ask for a benefits check up.
    I try my best

Thanks, that is very, very helpful