Thread: HELP Please! ESA and Housing Benefit

HELP Please! ESA and Housing Benefit

Hi All,

We have applied for Housing Benefit and ESA. Hubby registered blind as counting fingers only. He had to give up work for safety reasons. Housing Benefit letter arrived today and they have given us full housing housing benefit. However, under the section called 'Applicable Amounts' it says Hubby is in ESA Support Component. We are still in the assessment phase of ESA and not even had letter back for anything let alone a medical date.! So how can Housing Benefit put us as ESA Support Component when we've heard nothing from DWP or ATOS. for reference ESA50 was sent back only 4 weeks go?? So confused. Anyone please??
    thank you Ali

Ring them and ask how they got to their decision and explain that you haven't had any notification about ESA and ask them to put it on record that you have contacted them.

As barbiejane says give the council a ring.

It's probably a mistake on their part.

(Although I don't want to get your hopes up unnecessarilly, councils often get to know about benefit related matters before you do. They are linked by computer to the DWP which is quicker than you getting the DWP's letter through the post. Many times we have seen the first someone knows of a change to their ESA is when they get a letter about Housing Benefit. It's happened to me in the past when the council sent me a letter saying my HB had been stopped before I even knew there was an error on my ESA).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    As barbiejane says give the council a ring.

It's probably a mistake on their part.

(Although I don't co get your hopes up unnecessarilly, councils often get to know about benefit related matters before you do. They are linked by computer to the DWP which is quicker than you getting the DWP's letter through the post. Many times we have seen the first someone knows of a change to their ESA is when they get a letter about Housing Benefit. It's happened to me in the past when the council sent me a letter saying my HB had been stopped before I even knew there was an error on my ESA).
    Just called Council and they said they got the information from an interlinked system with the DWP. I asked them, if hubby was in WRAG or FFW work, would that should on Housing Benefit award under Applicable Amounts. She said NO. It would show nothing as they dont use WRAG and FFW towards Applicable Amounts. So i asked if that means hubby has been awarded ESA Support Group without a Medical, and obviously she couldnt confirm, but said that the DWP system says he is marked as Support Group. Wonder how long the DWP will take to inform us. Ill give DWP a cheeky little call tomorrow and find out more.... Sounds like good news however Im not sold on this whole ESA Process therefore not holding my breath!!

It does sound like ATLAS (the computer link) has told the council that Support Group has been awarded.

Fingers crossed for you that that is true and not a DWP mistake.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

To be fair I did send in copies of legally binding documentation as awarded by Upper Tribunals back in 2014 for a claimant who challenged the DWP and went up against the RNIB Legal Rights Team and the DWP LOST, this included legal amendments to Decision Makers Handbook (Memos 7/14) that supports people registered blind should be placed in the Support Group.... Hopefully this was enough to convince them support group was necessary without a f2f. Always be prepared, and do your homework!