Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elec Bill-Now there's a surprise!

My mother was informed by a government office that she will receive £300 as a cold weather allowance due to being over 70. She's just had a replacement boiler installed. I phoned her this morning and she said she was sat on the sofa with a blanket on as she doesn't know how to use it. Ehh - I'll pop around by noon to get it sorted.

Hey Nuke, would love them to try and go to court against you & see where they end up. Brings to mind, as you say, complete ineptitude not just of big companies but mostly DWP & all examples we read here, elsewhere and have personally experienced. I can't really reproduce my thoughts here in words as I would probably get arrested!

And Lighttouch, hope the £300 is also in addition to WHF scheme payment?

When I popped around to mums I found that they had fitted the wrong make of boiler. We wanted a Bosch and got an ideal.

The electrician set installed a new thermostat and timer but left it on test. So mum had no hot water or heating over the weekend. A
    nd didn't leave any guarantee or instructions on how to operate the system. Great at installing and tidying up but very poor at communication.

Had the Warm Home Discount thing for the last two years, when on income related WRAG.

Got moved to Support Group, on contribution based, with the income related element.

Recent letter from energy supplier states, after enquiring at the DWP, I'm no longer eligible.

Even the council tax went up because of being contribution based

Energy suppliers can (sursprisingly to some) set their own rules except for certain things.

However they would seem to be going off what the DWP have told them so not their fault here.

It's similar with council tax, they can (mostly) set their own rules.

Your problem seems to be that the DWP have told them the wrong thing.

I've had similar in the past and it was a pain to sort out.

You have to get the DWP to admit, in writing, that you do have an IR entitlement.
    Then you use a copy of that letter to get the company/council to admit that their decision was based on the wrong facts.
    It all takes time and persistance.

(Mine was that the DWP told the council my ESA had ended when it hadn't - took 3 months to sort it out).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Yes Nuke, already tried that.

Spoke to four different DWP & Job Centre officials when trying to get confirmation of the issue, for prescription purposes.

They all said that the higher payment of contribution based 'top up' overrides the lower income based payment.

Hope this is still relevant to this thread

I didn't know this scheme existed until reading this thread
    but I don't want to apply if it might mean someone else missing out - as they say there are only a limited amount of funds
    although I probably wont be eligible anyway

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiscount View Post
    They all said that the higher payment of contribution based 'top up' overrides the lower income based payment.
    Which is totaly stupid because the "top ups" are only ever Income Related.

It's an IR addion to CB, it can never be the other way round.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'll investigate further.

Thanks Nuke

I'm with SSE applied as it's 1st time been able too got a letter saying that i qualify but no guarentee i'd get it i might be called for proof of benefit if get it it will be added to electric account just checked nothing there so maybe wont get it. Glad you got yours though