Thread: Can i ask for a disabled/dedicated bay at work?

Can i ask for a disabled/dedicated bay at work?

If it all goes well I will be starting work soon. Went to the office where I will be working. Parking is limited and have noticed there is no disabled parking bay. It is a small firm. If the car park is full I have to park miles away and get a bus to work. It is based in a retail park.

Can I ask for a disabled/dedicated parking space? I can't walk for long distance and the office is not on the bus route.

reasonable adjustments

As it's a small company they may consider allocating a parking bay for you. Have you told the Personnel Department that you consider yourself to be disabled and would like them to consider putting in an accessible parking bay. If they did you'll have to remember it's not your private parking bay but open to use by any blue badge holder working there.

I've heard about companies putting accessible bays in private car parks for long standing employeees. As you are just starting and will be on a three month probation I guess it will be down to their 'goodwill'. I'd be surprised if things happen overnight.

Alternatively I'd suggest that you contact 'Access to Work' at Jobcentreplus. It's a self referral scheme for disabled people in work. They might help you out by paying for the difference in fares between your bus fare and a taxi. Eg you get a taxi to and from work, get receipts and at the end of each week send them to Access to Work who will refund the cost minus the cost you would have paid via public transport - worth a shot.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...mmes/DG_173083

The problem at my work is that there are quite a few disabled bays, BUT they are all standard width of a normal space!

Quote Originally Posted by warkman View Post
    The problem at my work is that there are quite a few disabled bays, BUT they are all standard width of a normal space!
    That's due to a lack of understanding, consultation and disability awareness training.
    The cross hatching either side of an accessible bay allows for car doors to be fully opened for access.

Sounds like there is 'tokenistic' allowances for disabled staff - time for you to challenge the powers that be Mr Warkman.