Thread: ESA3 IBR Is it worth it? No. thank. you.

ESA3 IBR Is it worth it? No. thank. you.

I know there are quite a few posts about the ESA3 IBR (which I received today regarding ESA claim from 2011) but just wondering how many people haven't bothered applying? And did they phone up, send the reply slip back or just ignore it?

The reason I ask is I am currently in CB ESA Support Group and filled in yet another ESA50 a couple of months back and am expecting yet another f2f letter anytime and not sure I can face this 45 page form, even if I am eligible for backdated payments. I also had the 'tell us about your savings letter' in September and had to send stuff for that.

It concerns me also that the ESA 3 IBR form 'notes' go on about work-focused interviews and WCA assessments as if you're actually making a new claim. Also although during the time period in question I had savings below 16k I had to sell my house 18 months ago so now I have more than 16k (all of which the DWP know about). That doesn't seem to get covered in the reply slip option I would have chosen 'you had or have savings over £16k' Or does it? (ie I didnt 2011-2017 but now I do).

Anyway I guess I just don't want the hassle or to complicate or jeopardise any current claim status by filling in this ESA3 IBR form and what I'm asking is what's the best way people have found of saying thanks but no thanks?!?

I'm not sure that I understand your reasoning there, but that doesn't matter:

In a previous thread on here you said that you were being paid the EDP (Disability Income Guarantee) until you sold your house.
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post147738

If you had been getting that since you transfered from IB then you were already getting IR ESA and so there will be nothing to backpay.

That being the case, and if you are sure you don't want them to double check, then I would tick the 16K box and then write below the 3 questions on the reply slip saying so.

eg. "Thank you, but I was already entitled to Income Related ESA in the form of the Disability Income Guarantee until 2017 when my savings exceeded £16K"
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-28-2018 at 04:20 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi thanks for your response.

Not sure which bit of my reasoning you refer to but probably everything is confused reasoning because I'm constantly confused by DWP stuff!

Anyway it seems like from what you're saying and my previous post(s) I wouldn't get backdates and I don't really want to get it double-checked so will use something in my reply to them along the lines of what you suggest.

Thanks again for your help :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Abble17 View Post
    Not sure which bit of my reasoning you refer to but probably everything is confused reasoning because I'm constantly confused by DWP stuff!
    Well;
    I had started writing that you looked to be owed at least £4,000 - not bad for a bit of 'hassle'.

But then I checked on what you had posted earlier and it seems that you were already entitled to IR ESA even though the actual payment got wiped out by the savings you already had before you sold the house.

In which case there would be nothing to backpay anyway, so it would be just be form filling for nothing.

Of course if the "Disability Income Guarantee" was not on your letters straight from when you transfered then there may still be something to be backpaid.
    But I'm guessing that it's been that way since you transfered, and so not worth the paperwork.

It's always your choice,
    Without more details (which the DWP could check but you probably don't want to put on an open forum) then you may be missing out on some backpay, but maybe not?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Well;
    I had started writing that you looked to be owed at least £4,000 - not bad for a bit of 'hassle'.

But then I checked on what you had posted earlier and it seems that you were already entitled to IR ESA even though the actual payment got wiped out by the savings you already had before you sold the house.

In which case there would be nothing to backpay anyway, so it would be just be form filling for nothing.

Of course if the "Disability Income Guarantee" was not on your letters straight from when you transfered then there may still be something to be backpaid.
    But I'm guessing that it's been that way since you transfered, and so not worth the paperwork.

It's always your choice,
    Without more details (which the DWP could check but you probably don't want to put on an open forum) then you may be missing out on some backpay, but maybe not?
    I agree it's not bad for the hassle and obvs worth it for some people: I was/am just stressed by DWP forms!

But anyway I think you guess correctly: just looked back at 2012 paperwork. Without going into too much detail I can see it mentions a 'top up' payment of £5.60. The next relevant paperwork 2013 mentions a 'DIG' £14.80. In years 14,15, 16 a DIG also mentioned. 2017 on and DIG mentioned no longer.

I just wish DWP could be more proactive and do all this checking themselves on their great big database in the sky without sending forms out and having people apply but I guess it's neither that joined up nor have they enough staff to check.

Thanks

It's worth it I was successful when I thought I wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by pipsaholic View Post
    It's worth it I was successful when I thought I wouldn't
    Yes... Think it's fairly clear to me now that I wouldn't get it after all though as it looks like I got the correct payments :-)