Thread: webuyanycar.com - my experience

webuyanycar.com - my experience

I've now got a new Motability car. However, I couldn't trade it in to offset the upfront deposit.

Not having sold a car for donkeys years I thought I could get a quick valuation by looking at 'Glass's and Parkers Car buying guides. Selling it privately should reap the best price.

I decided to try out the online selling company called 'Gumtree' where you can place free adverts. As a back-up I also put the same adverts on a local online 'App' called 'Nextdoor.

Both generated interest and people came around looking for a bargain. I think their expectations were too high as nobody was willing to part with £1,000 for a 12 yearly care with just £57,000 miles on the clock and 9 months MOT left.

It seems that everyone who saw the car could find fault. A hairline scratch here, a tyre thread is borderline, the car seat cloth is slightly worn - what do people expect from a 12 year old car!

So I input data on the webuyanycar to fid that they thought the true value was £875!

Don't be fooled as that price isn't guaranteed until they have viewed the car. Today my lodger drove the old Scenic to their local outlet and I followed in my new Motability car.

Very friendly staff sited in a car park - not accessible.

I took the paperwork e.g. V5 form, 7 Mots and service records plus Manuals and the wheelchair hoist manual.

Despite having a 'guaranteed price quote; they soon knocked it down to £250 with a £50 admin fee!

In the end we settled on £300 with no admin costs. You have to wait 4 days before it reaches your bank account.

The insurance had lapsed and would have cost £400 for a year so I'm pleased to have got rid of it. Just wish it could have been a few hundred more!

My experience of WBAC.com is that they are nothing more than con merchants. I offered my car & online price quoted was £4100, wnen I took the car to them for inspection the saleman trie to pick faults that were not even there ! He offered £3.700 paid into my bank account right away.

A polite "Get Stuffed" put an end to his silliness & when I walked away he then offered the online valuation. A further "Get Stuffed" stopped him in his tracks. I sold the car privately for £4.500 cash to the first buyer who saw the car !
    Call me Mike.

We had a caravan which was serviced by the main dealer from new, when we decided to stop caravanning and sell the caravan they offered to buy our caravan. They already had exactly the same caravan on their site advertised for £15999, they offered us £11000 even though our caravan was in better condition, but it was subject to inspection.

Anyway reluctantly we decided to go ahead, the dealer inspected the caravan their engineer stated it was A1, we absolutely gobsmacked when they offered £9000, the wife remarked what happened to £11000, there answer take it or leave it.

Short answer we left it, put it on Preloved and sold it to the first person to view it £12500
    I have suffered a Traumatic Subachnoid Brain Haemorrhage several years ago, I do struggle to understand quite simple as well as long postings and can be appear to be quite blunt or rude in my post it is not intentional, it is very difficult to find the right word to explain, it is just part of my condition, please except my apologise in advance, due to my injury I am also very sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    My experience of WBAC.com is that they are nothing more than con merchants. I offered my car & online price quoted was £4100, wnen I took the car to them for inspection the saleman trie to pick faults that were not even there ! He offered £3.700 paid into my bank account right away.

A polite "Get Stuffed" put an end to his silliness & when I walked away he then offered the online valuation. A further "Get Stuffed" stopped him in his tracks. I sold the car privately for £4.500 cash to the first buyer who saw the car !

I think thet rely on the gullible !
    Call me Mike.

WBAC are owned by auction group British Car Auctions (BCA).

When you sell your car to WBAC - they need to make a profit.
    When BCA subsequently sell the car (usually to a dealer) - they need to make a profit.
    When the dealer sells the car - they need to make a profit.

That's why the 'eventual' price they offer is so low.
    And yes, they price it high before seeing it, so as to 'invite' you there. Then, after they have viewed the car - they offer their price. Take it or leave it.

(Or take it straight to the auction - and hope for the best.)

In my case I chose to "leave it". I know companies have to make a profit but WBAC take the Pi$$.
    Call me Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by adexico View Post
    WBAC are owned by auction group British Car Auctions (BCA).

When you sell your car to WBAC - they need to make a profit.
    When BCA subsequently sell the car (usually to a dealer) - they need to make a profit.
    When the dealer sells the car - they need to make a profit.

That's why the 'eventual' price they offer is so low.
    And yes, they price it high before seeing it, so as to 'invite' you there. Then, after they have viewed the car - they offer their price. Take it or leave it.

(Or take it straight to the auction - and hope for the best.)
    And in the case of the subject car for this thread, they would have to remove the hoist - the chances of selling a car with a hoist at a standard auction are minimal, and they would also have to accept some product liability if the hoist fails. Therefore there will be a cost for a mechanic to come and remove it. They would then have to either make good all cuts to trim and carpets that were made to fit it, or accept that these would reduce the value.

The only chance to sell a car with a hoist would be to advertise it within the likely user community - notice boards at any local disability charities or drop in centres, or if a website such at this one had a classified ads section.

I had a number of bites on 'Gumtree'. The main concern it seems wasn't about the gearbox but the 'Cam ir Timing' belt as it had never been changed at 6 years old. At that time my car was being serviced by a Renault garage and they had no concerns.

WBAC said having a hoist didn't add value and suggested I took it out and sell it privately.

One guy was actively interested in the car with the hoist but wouldn't travel 100 miles to test out.

Most first questions revolved around 'how much will you be prepared to knock off' that's even after discounting the first price.

WBAC have a 'take it or leave it' price promise. The guy I dealt with seemed genuine but then it's his job to get the car for a 'rock bottom' price so he can maximise his commission!

Don't forget they also charge at least £50 admin cost.
    If you want the readies in your hand you get charged £25.

I decided to sell to them as I was losing the will to live and just wanted to get home.

As promised they deposited the money in my bank account 4 working days later. They also register your car as sold so saves you paperwork.

I'm quite happy with the Motability lease hire car as I had a puncture.

I visited Kwick Fit who were very professional, courteous and efficient. Even supplying coffee and arranging the car alongside the ramp/ Best of all I didn't have to pay anything.