Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What % of disabled parking is BB only?

What % of disabled parking is BB only?

How much disabled parking is there for non BB holders?
    Nearly all parking I see is BB only yet there are many disabled people who, for whatever reason, don't have a BB.
    As many public and private buildings now have disabled access they don't restrict use of this access to BB holders only, so why should access to parking be different?

it will be abused,
    Last edited by littlebib; 08-19-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebib View Post
    it will be abused,
    More or less than BB is already? Many supermarkets do not police BB parking nor do traffic wardens.
    Surely there has to be provision for non BB disabled people also.

impossible to police
    Last edited by paul1234; 08-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    How much disabled parking is there for non BB holders?
    Nearly all parking I see is BB only yet there are many disabled people who, for whatever reason, don't have a BB.
    As many public and private buildings now have disabled access they don't restrict use of this access to BB holders only, so why should access to parking be different?
    access to buildings is different as a parking space. There is a limited amount of parking places. access to building does not take up such space

Nearly all services provided to make disabled life easier are for everyone. Ramps, lifts,toilets,public transport,lower curbs etc etc, only parking needs identification.
    Anyway, I guess BB parking will always be a bone of contention in its present form, hopefully PIP will solve the problem and only issue BB's to those with a genuine need.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    Nearly all services provided to make disabled life easier are for everyone. Ramps, lifts,toilets,public transport,lower curbs etc etc, only parking needs identification.
    Anyway, I guess BB parking will always be a bone of contention in its present form, hopefully PIP will solve the problem and only issue BB's to those with a genuine need.
    everything except parking bays are in plentyful supply, 1000 people can use a ramp or lift in a day but only a few can use a parking bay

Therefore the question is, why aren't there more disabled parking spots? You could have some for BB's and some for non BB's.
    Of course non BB's would have to take their chances with the selfish scum who would abuse them but at least there would be some to have a least a choice.

Why not just make all parking spaces the same size as BB bays?

I'd even go as far as putting the BB bays at the back of the car park (with a safe route to the shops), and nowhere near any cash machines!
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Why not just make all parking spaces the same size as BB bays?

I'd even go as far as putting the BB bays at the back of the car park (with a safe route to the shops), and nowhere near any cash machines!
    I totally agree, you might be onto something there Paul.
    I think even able bodied would appreciate not having to squeeze in and out the space and moreover their cars, of course you would have the dilema of less spaces yet more wanting to use them.