Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claimant Commitment

Claimant Commitment

Does UC have a claimant commitment like job seekers allowance?

How does it work if the person is claiming carers allowance caring responsibilities for 35 hours per week?

Are they still expected to be looking for work hence visiting job centre every 2 weeks to sign on?

Everybody claiming UC has to have a claimant commitment.

But it is customised for each person to suit their circumstances so those with LCWRA, or with 35 hours+ Caring responsibilities, will not be expected to look for work.
    They will be in the 'No work related requirements' group.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Cl...iversal-Credit

The standard first line of the UC Claimant Commitment is very sneakily worded, it says -
    I'll do everything that I can to find work or earn more.
    The important bit to note there is that "...everything that I can..."

If you have LCWRA, or if you are a carer then "everything that I can" will be nothing.

You have to read the sections following that on the Claimant Commitment to see what they are actually asking you to do.

These three photos show a UC Claimant Commitment for someone who was migrating from ESA because of a house move.
    (Their Limited Capability had not yet been added to the UC, but because it was pending they were not given anything to do).
    https://imgur.com/a/ck8AKWg
    https://imgur.com/a/La9w567
    https://imgur.com/a/dy6tOS6

If you look at the first photo, the box following that standard opening statment says:
    What I'll do

I haven't agreed any activities with my work coach.
    So they haven't been asked, or commited, to do anything.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-04-2018 at 05:06 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'm on UC LCWRA and had to create an online account then go into JCP with my ID etc, the coach still made me accept a work commitment saying i would do every i can to look for work, he's also booked me for a phone interview at the end of the month.
    So yes, everyone on UC, even those deemed unfit for work still have to accept a work commitment.

Can they sanction you if you're in the LCWRA group ?

So the images is from an online application ?

And if it is do they have a multiple replies or a drop down menu to select your reply or is the statement typed into the system by the applicant ?

I still cannot see how they'll get bed-bound and mentally disabled people to attend job centre's and manage an online system!
    Last edited by TimeLord; 12-04-2018 at 02:24 PM.

I don’t think they can sanction you if you’re on lcwra but they can still request telephone chats I think .
    Yes it’s stressful and luckily a friend helped me complete the online service and came with me to JCP to hand in all documents.

That page you linked to nukecad is it right? WRAG group on UC (LCW) is listed as expected to do work placements, that seems new, in the past people in the WRAG were not obligated to do work placements. Group 2 seems more sensible for LCW.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeLord View Post
    Can they sanction you if you're in the LCWRA group ?

So the images is from an online application ?

And if it is do they have a multiple replies or a drop down menu to select your reply or is the statement typed into the system by the applicant ?

I still cannot see how they'll get bed-bound and mentally disabled people to attend job centre's and manage an online system!
    You cannot be sanctioned if you are in the 'No Work Related Requirements' group.

Those phone screenshots are from the claimants already set up UC acount.
    The CC is not in the online application, it's done later when you see the Work Coach and discuss it with them.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ant-commitment

You have to sign a CC to claim UC.
    If you don't agree with what the Work Coach wants to put then discuss it with them.
    If they won't change it then sign it anyway and then ask for a MR.

The problems with housebound people does have solutions set out in law and in DWP guidance, including home visits.
    It's the usual issue of getting the staff to know about them, and getting the DWP to use them properly.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-05-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    That page you linked to nukecad is it right? WRAG group on UC (LCW) is listed as expected to do work placements, that seems new, in the past people in the WRAG were not obligated to do work placements. Group 2 seems more sensible for LCW.
    Yes that is correct.

It's no different from ESA WRAG, you could/can be asked to do all those things with WRAG.

It's just that this is little known because mandatory work placements in WRAG are very rarely (if ever) used, I've certainly never heard of one being used.

Any mandatory work placement given in WRAG must also "be of benefit to the community".

This is from 2012:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...ack-into-a-job
    Mandatory Work placements: Both Work Programme providers and
    Jobcentre Plus will be able to refer ESA Work Related Activity claimants to
    a mandatory work placement. Consideration will be given to the claimant’s
    health problems or disabilities to ensure that work placement is
    appropriate to their personal circumstances. Work placements are very
    different from work as they are a shorter-term and more flexible
    commitment, with lower expectations placed on the individual. The focus
    will be on learning new skills and gaining experience of the workplace.
    Mandatory work placements will take only place in settings of community
    benefit and sanctions will only apply where refuses to participate in an
    appropriate placement without good reason.

Well yes in the past the reason they havent used it is because a work placement is little different to work, so if LCW prevents you from been expected to work and apply for work, then been expected to do a work placement contradicts that.

In the guide handed out to staff in 2014 they were specifically told they not allowed to put ESA WRAG claimants on work placements.

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    In the guide handed out to staff in 2014 they were specifically told they not allowed to put ESA WRAG claimants on work placements.
    Whilst their guidance says not to do it, the law still does allow it.
    So their guidance could be changed anytime/if they wanted.