Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: american date format is been used

american date format is been used

on forum posts it is month-day-year instead of day-month-year, can this please be changed given its a uk website?

The date format is the default for the software that this forum runs on (vBulletin).

It can be changed, but that depends whether, and by how much, the Admin want's to alter the default software setup.

Most software prefers to use American date format, for various reasons.

I use it myself when naming things like backup files so that they get sorted into month order, eg. so that 19 Feb (backup-02-19) is listed before 10 June (backup-06-10).
    If I did it the English way then they would be listed in the wrong order, ie. (backup-10-06) before (backup-19-02).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Perhaps the forum needs to be run on different software if it can't cope with the proper date format.

There is no 'Proper' date format, just different preferences of how it is shown.

Whether you use DD/MM/YY, MM/DD/YY, YY/MM/DD, or something else, is down to your preference, your particular country's preference, and/or if you need to process that date in some specific way.

The forum software can cope with, and display, any date format (any forum software can) - what shows on the page is what the forum administrator has set it to show.

I agree with gothitjulie, of course there is a proper date format.

I think considering that this site is also likely to have users that may have learning disabilities as well the american date format could really confuse them.

Nukecad isnt this a uk site? if yes is its right to assume most users will be from the uk.

Yes it's a UK site, but as with all things computing the date format can be set to different systems of display.
    (Want to show the Chinese Lunar Calander on your Windows taskbar? It's easy, just change it in the settings).

With this particular forum forum software (vBulletin) you can even set it to write the month rather than showing a number.
    (eg. either 11th December 2018, or December 11th 2018).

That's actually my prefered way of displaying dates, less chance of anyone getting confused (whether US or UK format is being used).

In this case the admin has left it as comes with the by software default, if you want it changing you'll have to petition the forum admin.

I am petitioning them via this thread.

I'm not sure how often the admin reads the threads.

I would try the 'Contact Us' button below, bottom right, to make a request.

Nukecad - Please advise - this is unrelated to this thread, but I cannot find a link/button to post a query. It's to do with water rates - going from private metered to council... Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by oriste View Post
    Nukecad - Please advise - this is unrelated to this thread, but I cannot find a link/button to post a query. It's to do with water rates - going from private metered to council... Thank you.
    Hi oriste,

It's fairly simple,
    1. Go to the top of the page and click on the word 'Forum' above the menu bar.
    2. Pick which forum you want to post in, and click on its name in blue. (For instance this is the 'Forum bugs and fixes' forum).
    3. You'll see a big blue button that says "+Post New Thread", click on that.
    4. Make your new post. (Give it a title that says briefly what its about).

I see that you have made at least one new thread in the past, but it was a while ago and we can all forget how we did something.

I'm not sure which forum water rates would come under, so I'd just post it in the 'Benefits - Help and advice' section.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-12-2018 at 09:28 AM.