Thread: dwp letter: possible IB-ESA underpayment

dwp letter: possible IB-ESA underpayment

hi, can anyone help please. dwp have sent a letter asking for a lot of financial info. is this likely something to do with underpayments from IB-ESA transfer ?

Im unsure when I first started getting IB but looking at old bank statements it seems I went from IB to contribution based EESA in April 2012. The rate was around £216 a fortnight for both IB and EESA and over the years the payments more or less stayed the same or only went up by a couple of quid. Its currently about 221 a fortnight.

I think I have been in the support group since the start of my ESA claim but I may have been in the work related activity group for a month while I requested a mandatory reconsideration to get that changed. At about the same time I went from IB to ESA I started to receive DLA high rate care and low rate mobility. This changed to high care PIP in 2017. I've never had savings.

Based on the above, does it look like its worth me getting someone to fill out the form ? and more importantly does it look like I may be owed some money ?

thanks for any input
    Last edited by dwpeedon; 12-06-2018 at 01:59 AM.

Firstly can you confirm that what you have been sent is an ESA3 (IBR) form?
    Look at the bottom right of the front page for the number.

If it is the ESA3 (IBR) then it's all about the errors that they made when transfering people from IB to ESA.

From what you have told us then it does look like you are owed money.
    (No savings is one qualifier, not having a working partner is the second).

It looks that you currently get:
    Personal allowance of £73.10 a week.
    Support Group rate of £37.65 a week.
    Which is £110.75 a week (£221.50 a fortnight)

But if you have an entitlement to IR ESA as well, and it sounds like you do, then you should also be getting:
    Enhanced disability premium of £16.40 a week.
    Severe disability premium of £64.30 a week. (You need to be living alone, and nobody claiming Carers Allowance for you).
    So that's an extra £80.70 a week you'll be paid every week from when they put it right.

The EDP should also be backpaid to when you transfered from IB to ESA in 2012.
    The SDP should also be backpaid to when you got DLA Higher Care.

We can't be accurate without knowing the exact dates, savings/income, etc. (that's why the DWP want all the info on that form) but if you qualify for both premiums back to 2012 then you are looking at over £20,000 in backpay due.
    We have members here who have already been backpaid amounts like that.

So I'd say yes, it's very worth filling in the form and sending it back.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-06-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

hi nukecad,

thanks for your reply. Yes it is an esa3 form. The dwp said I could ignore it if I want to so that could mean getting it filled in is good for me not them. Hopefully so anyways !. I think I transferred from IB to ESA contribution based and also started to get DLA high rate care all at the same time in April 2012. Its likely if I had been assessed for IR ESA I would have qualified for it but the dwp put me straight onto contribution based. I didn't even know there had been a change in benefits from IB-ESA because the rates stayed the same

i was in the same situation as yourself and my money also stayed the same on CB

i thought i wouldn't get anything but was astounded to get a large back payment and my rates have also gone up.

please fill it in as you could be surprised.

Hi Dwpeedon,

Yes it does sound like you should have been entitled to IR ESA at the time and so you definitely should fill in the form and send it back.

It's important when filling in the ESA3(IBR) 06/18 to note that it has differences to the standard ESA3.

In particular make note of the statement at Part 1 - "The information you give us, on this form, must be from the date on the front of this form."

That date should be the date that you transfered from IB to ESA, and they want to know about your circumstances at that time.

Where they want to know about anything that has changed since then they make it clear in the question, so it's important to read each question carefully.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-06-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.