Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dwp letter: possible IB-ESA underpayment

so a quick update. not a good one though !! A letter from health assessment advisory arrived today and it says we have been asked by dwp to assess you in relation to your benefit claim. Oddly enough it doesn't say which claim (pip or esa). Oddly oddly enough its come out of nowhere and without filling in a questionnaire. I can only think that the dwp didnt like being asked if they owe me money from 2012 and have decided to try take me out of the support group (or worse still take my entire esa award). I've a nagging feeling that I wouldnt be entitled to something or another if taken out of support group.

In any case I have informed the dwp that I cannot and will not attend their assessment. They know I cannot travel and even if I could I would probably hit myself while trying to explain me and autism to strangers. And they know that because even my "regular" GP wrote them saying she has seen me meltdown to the point that she was left shaking. I only need to get a dwp letter and I go into panic mode and self injury mode. And that was this afternoons joy. Now its time to shutdown though. To sleep.

in my head its nothing short of amazing that these dwp people talk publicly about not re-assessing people with lifelong disabilities/conditions and how they are not out to intentionally cause harm to disabled people. And then they go push push push certain claimants every 6 months no matter how much medical evidence they have already. IMHO they know who to push push push and when. And they push push push those that they know have limited support and limited capabilities. And that is why despite dwp promises that so many claimants still come to harm and death.

rant over !!!

The 'Health Assessment Advisory Service' is another name for the 'Centre for Health and Disability Assessments' (CHDA) and they do ESA assessments/reassessments.

(PIP assessments are done by either ATOS or Capita).

CHDA are nothing at all to do with the IB-ESA transfer review.

This is just a regular ESA reassessment, the date when you should be refered for one was pu on the computer after your last one.
    It is sent automatically by the computer to CHDA and they send you an ESA50 and/or make you an appointment.
    Again they have no idea that you are involved with the IB-ESA review, it's nothing to do with them.
    They are just doing what the system says they should do.

They can ask you to a face to face appointment without sending you an ESA50 first, they don't have to send an ESA50.

If you are unable to attend for medical reasons then you tell them this and provide evidence of this after they send you an appointment.
    So they have now done what they should, and you have to do what you should and tell them why you can't attend.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for that. They made appointment and I instantly had a meltdown and emailed the dwp telling them to f off i wont be coming and they have had numerous letters in the past saying i cannot travel and will probably come to harm if made to sit with strangers. Home visits have been requested in the past and have been ignored and I have ended up appealing and going to court in a mess. I was lucky to have someone to take me and try calm me down last time i appealed but i dont have that this time so im not sure what will happen if i have to appeal. Even with company at the last appeal the judge just looked at me and awarded me pip for much longer than the dwp wanted to. which didn't go down too well but never mind.

I know what you are saying about the medical assessment companies and how an appointment being made now does not relate to their error AND perhaps you are correct BUT the regular esa team contacted me with a rates letter a week or 4 ago and that caused me to email them and at the same time point out that I may be owed a lot of money due to their error and also extra money in the future. They contacted the team dealing with the error and then suddenly an appointment arrives in the post. And I was extra shocked when it arrived because the same team making this appointment backed down regarding a face to face medical 6 months ago. They really were put under pressure by medical professionals to assess me on paper or at least at home so I dont know why they have forgotten that or dont seem to be considering that. I mean its not like they haven't had letters about me having autistic meltdowns and other medical evidence recently.

I am curious to know IF I AM TAKEN OUT OF SUPPORT GROUP WILL THAT MEAN THAT IN THE FUTURE THE DWP WON'T NEED TO ADD ON AN INCOME RELATED TOP UP OR DISABILITY PREMIUMS TO MY ESA (Once error process is completed and they have decided if and what I am owed/should be getting will not being in the support group change anything)

As stated earlier I cannot go to this appointment or any appointment so I will update when the dwp tell me what they plan to do about that OR when I am actually at appeal stage. I am more or less a mute recluse so do not communicate in any way shape or form with anyone so typing and talking is a nightmare BUT I do appreciate your replies and will eventually get back to this thread

Quote Originally Posted by dwpeedon View Post
    I am curious to know IF I AM TAKEN OUT OF SUPPORT GROUP WILL THAT MEAN THAT IN THE FUTURE THE DWP WON'T NEED TO ADD ON AN INCOME RELATED TOP UP OR DISABILITY PREMIUMS TO MY ESA (Once error process is completed and they have decided if and what I am owed/should be getting will not being in the support group change anything)
    No - The review is for everyone who may have been affected by the IB-ESA error, no matter what their circumstances are now.

If they owe you backpay, then they owe you backpay. (And any ongoing premiums can be paid in WRAG as well as SG).

The extreme example is those who have passed on since they transfered from IB-ESA, their IB-ESA transfers are still being reviewed and any backpay owed has to be paid to their heirs/estate.
    I know of cases where this has already happened.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.