Thread: Esa3

Esa3

Hello all!, been roaming these forums for years and it seems like a fair and calm place to discuss finances etc!.

So rang the DWP to fill the ESA3 IBR over the phone (there was a time i was scared to phone them but recently each person i have spoken to there where brilliant, friendly non judgmental etc)

Anyhow, So like most people recently i was on Incapacity Benefit and was transferred over in August 2013!. i have been on the exact same money since 2009 and to this very day of £224.10, something about transitional? (Not very good with understanding such words ).

My circumstances are exactly as they where waaaaaay back then, i live with my step mum who receives carers and income support im classed as a non dependent. basically a lodger but i have lived here since birth, I have no partner, i have no savings.

Most if not all of the ESA goes towards bills food rent etc, my step mum contributes but i try not to let her with carers and income support not being very much... im rambling.

I understand that PIP isn't income so we should really ignore that as part of ESA3. So my question is, Since 2013 from what i have told you have i always been eligible for income based esa with the automatic premium?. Also i don't really understand how most people get 110.70 per week but me £112.05, many members have claimed it since around the same time as me, all so comfusing.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the grammar.

Hi Frankie,

Your payment of £112.05 will be because that was what you were getting with IB and there was a promise that you would get at least the same money with ESA.
    That's called 'Transitional Protection' or a 'Transitional Allowance'.
    It hasn't changed because the standard ESA payment hasn't caught up to it yet.

From what you have said then it sounds like you should have been getting the IR addition, and so the Enhanced Disability Premium, all along.
    If so then your ESA should go up to £127.15 a week.
    You should also be due some backpayment, which will take a bit of working out because the Transitional Addition Payments you have already been paid will reduce it slightly.

You won't qualify for the extra Severe Disability Premium, because your step-mum is claiming Carers Allowance for you.

As you have already done the form over the phone then it's just a question of waiting for them to work it out.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Aw thank you so much for replying nuke, its put me at ease. I was up till 1AM searching for my very first ESA reward letter which i found!. The Transitional Protections is £5.55 and i think it stays like that till 2020?. Am i right in thinking, will they calculate and deduct £5.55 from each week (When it began in 2013) of Enhanced Disability Premium?. One case i read earlier, he was refused any back pay because of his TP, so im thinking his TP was higher than the premium?. But yeah its case by case.

Thank you Nuke!.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

The amount of TP you get has been reducing each year as the standard ESA payments went up.

Although it started at £5.55 it has reduced over time.
    So in 2013 it was £5.55 (112.5 - 106.50) and is now £1.30 (112.05 - 110.75).

And of course the EDP increased each year as well.

Yes each case is different, if I remember the case you mean that person had a higher TP payment because their partner was included in the claim.

Now I know what your TP amount was/is I'll take a look later and work out what you could be owed as backpay.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-07-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieOoo View Post
    Am i right in thinking, will they calculate and deduct £5.55 from each week (When it began in 2013) of Enhanced Disability Premium?.
    Remember this is approximate, it could be a few weeks out at the start and finish.
    Also it all depends on you being entitled to IR when you transfered from IB, which from what you have told us you were.

I've used September 2013 as I'm not sure just when in August you transfered, you can add a couple of weeks for that if needed.
    I've used up to the end of this month, if the DWP are quick it may be before that, if they are slow it may be later.

2013 TA £5.55, EDP £15.15, difference £ 9.60 (x30 weeks = £288.00) Sept 2013 to Apr 2014.
    2014 TA £3.90, EDP £15.55, difference £11.65 (x52 weeks = £605.80)
    2015 TA £2.75, EDP £15.75, difference £13.00 (x52 weeks = £676.00)
    2016 TA £2.75, EDP £15.75, difference £13.00 (x52 weeks = £676.00)
    2017 TA £2.40, EDP £15.90, difference £13.50 (x52 weeks = £702.00)
    2018 TA £1.30, EDP £16.40, difference £15.10 (x36 weeks = £543.60) Apr 2018 to Jan 2019.

Total backpayment due = £3,491.40

I cannot thank you enough for what you have done here! and taken the time! very much at ease now, my step mum also thanks you!, ill keep you updated with everything! thanks again!

While my ESA3 form is being processed, on Tuesday its payment day, will i get paid as usual?.

It could take 2-3 months before you're paid any back pay. I submitted my forms a month a go and so far theres been no changes to my ESA amounts or backpay. They don't like to rush.

Quote Originally Posted by obsidianeclipse View Post
    It could take 2-3 months before you're paid any back pay. I submitted my forms a month a go and so far theres been no changes to my ESA amounts or backpay. They don't like to rush.
    Fingers crossed for you, would be just lovely right before christmas, give them a ring tomorrow and ask how are things coming along