Thread: requesting advice about how to have wisdom tooth extracted under GA

requesting advice about how to have wisdom tooth extracted under GA

Hello :-)

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

Having some real difficulties after wisdom tooth flaring up. I called a community dental place that was advertised as being for mentally/physically disabled, but no help, except telling me to see my dentist. No fillings for years, so only very brief interactions with dentist. Was able to get an emergency dental appointment, and it's hard to speak about things so I handed him a note explaining severe dissociation from trauma/abuse, v bad arthritis, total overwhelm/risk of mind damaged worse, and requesting general anaesthetic for any extraction (loose front tooth also, despite good regime, but from years of having smoked).

Surprised he didn't do an x-ray, but just quickly wrote a prescription for antibiotics, which finish in the morning, when I need to call again. I worry that having mentioned emotional/dissociation issues, the dentist may have switched to thinking that means I'm unintelligent/can be fobbed off, and I'm concerned there may be an nhs cost thing happening ... if there's money to pay extra for GA, I'd definitely do that, but no advice has been offered. I did many years of carework, and have not been able to have critical surgeries, or therapy later, from fallout of that, due to abuses. Not greedy or lazy, etc, which sometimes is the unfair view of people on benefits. Being able to have GA would still be difficult emotionally and travel-wise, but I honestly cannot see my mind keeping 'together' otherwise; would be very grateful for it, and able to continue to function.

I can only bite with a couple of teeth, and chew with a few teeth on the other side of mouth. Feeling even more unwell, and if there's resistance to hospital extractions, I worry about further infection or effect on health due to not being able to eat properly, which ironically would probably end up with hospital anyway. As well as not being able to cope with seeing/hearing what goes on, I worry that under local anaesthetic I may be unpredictable, due to intrusive mental health episodes and a lot of emotional distress. Very concerned that already bad health is worse, and risk of worsening.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice, and thank you for your time.

Ultimately you can only have GA if its deemed suitable for you.

Have you had panic attacks or bad reaction local anaesthetic before?

I had 2/3 of my teeth removed in 2 separate procedures, one side was done, then after some weeks of healing the other was done, both were done under local.

I never felt pain that would make me judder or anything like that, at worse it would feel like someone pressing on me moderately but not as pain but more as touch sensation. The risks of local are significantly lower, as with GA, there is always risk of not waking up.

So on both occasions the local lasted for several hours afterwards, so I Could e.g. go home and lie down without needing painkillers to sleep. I avoided eating anything for first 2-3 days and do not suck on anything so no smoking or straws. When I started seeing gum growing over the holes, then the risk of dry socket is mostly passed and I would start eating soft stuff like soup or yoghurts but on opposite of mouth for swallowing, after 2 weeks or some solids but easy chewable stuff, I cannot remember if I ever felt the need to take painkillers. Its possible I did. But I got through it, the thing is if its rough like in the first week of recovery, then a GA is not going to save you from that as you only asleep during the procedure not the recovery. A local should not make you feel actual pain during the procedure, you be surprised how powerful local is. I currently only have one out of 4 wisdom teeth left. So the process did involve some been removed.

What I can tell you is this. I do not regret having it done, I used to get tooth pain flare up's at least once a year, probably twice a year most years, they would last for 2 weeks or more of extreme pain eventually controlled by anti biotics, this went on for years, could be triggered by soft drinks, chewing on the tooth sugary foods, etc. Since the procedures, I have have no incidents. I can eat fine even without new teeth. I cannot eat hard stuff like apples, but things like chicken, sandwiches, burgers, potatoes, chips, cereals etc. no problem. So I suggest you dont put it off because on my experience you will be happier once you through the recovery period.
    Last edited by worried33; 12-14-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Yeah!! I have faced many panic attacks before...
    Last edited by Carlelzey; 08-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.

The reason you were given antibiotics is because the dentist can not do dental work with an infection hence he said to come back when course finished.
    If you need a GA the dentist will refer you to a hospital dental dept.. So don't worry as to how you have been treated as all correct. Have you considered sedation for any extraction as that can be done at some surgeries.
    When I had cataract surgery I chose sedation and it was bliss, so do consider that option.
    Wishing you well.