Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal credit: Amber Rudd to listen to expert guidance

Universal credit: Amber Rudd to listen to expert guidance

Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd has agreed to listen "very carefully" to concerns over universal credit, conceding the system "can be better". Doesn't she mean should and will. Hmm!

Making her first Commons appearance since getting the job on Friday, she faced calls from Labour and the SNP to halt the rollout of the single benefit.

She said she would "learn from errors" and "adjust" the system, which she admitted had problems, where needed.

She also rejected a UN report on UK poverty as "extraordinarily political". But True!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46265558

The problem with their "Learning from Errors" (Test and Learn) approach is that it's an admission that they are making errors, which push people into hardship and worse.

The should be trying harder to avoid making the errors in the first place.

Her announcement also means that the Managed Migration Regulations will now not be debated by parliament until mid/late January, so who knows when they will now become law?
    In the meantime anyone with SDP who has to migrate to UC (usually by moving house) will still loose their SDP (for months), unless they push that measure/block through seperately as has already been suggested by the W&P committee and many welfare organisations.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

It should all be sorted by the New Millenium (Maybe a bit before)

10-05-2013 07:20 PM Would you believe it. My first post about Universal Credit was 10-05-2013 07:20 PM more than 8 years ago and nowts really happend apart from the gov wasting millions

It was meant to be completed this time last year now they are saying 2023 that over 7 million will be on the new system, I hope they have a good platform and servers because you can bet some will try to hack into it. What next a new style Universal Credit fit for purpose. I think it was in the pipeline around 2010 and launched around October 5 years ago, I feel for whoever will be the test dummies for 2019. Beats me why they didn't just move everyone from incapacity over to it instead of ESA maybe that wouldve saved money, instead of paying (who gives A-toss Atos ) millions for culling and re-testing millions of disabled work shy scroungers to save a buck!

the roll out is almost done , as for migration im already on UC from ESA and i expect theres many more , so it could be just a few to move at the end , hence there not to bothered?

Its all political games.

There seems to be 2 main issues with UC that the charities have gone way overboard with.

1 - Its paid monthly instead of fortnightly and because its in arrears there is a gap to first payment.
    2 - SDP claimants lose out, but my view is that none of the disability premiums make much logical sense, and the better course of action was to raise the base payment and remove the premiums which is exactly what UC does.

UC also modernises benefits, I was reminded first hand when sending my statements in that the legacy benefits are prehistoric now, relying on royal mail and documents to be scanned into a system, instead of submitting documents digitally. UC brings it to the internet which is much needed.

Benefits have always been paid in arrears. Usually you would have probably a 3 week gap minimum until first payment. I am not saying this isnt inst a problem, yes its horrible to have no money for food, but asking for UC rollout to be stopped is never going to succeed so I see it as political posturing. Instead they should push for the week gap to be scrapped (which I think it is already), and to maybe make the first month 2 half payments instead of one full payment, but the second month would have a similar problem to the first, claimants struggling to adapt to a monthly income.

The tories are playing political games as well with their silly claims about the UN report, thats a blatant refusal to acknowledge that poverty exists in the UK at high levels.

druid managed migration hasnt started yet, I expect you naturally migrated.

I think the number to be migrated from legacy benefits is probably well into the millions - it's going to take years to do and that's if they don't hit further problems when managed migration actually starts.

There is not much inherently wrong with UC, the more you look into it the more sense it makes.

The monthly payments make sense, unless you are "working class" and get paid weekly.

What is wrong is the way UC is being administered by the DWP, many will know my view on that - Lack of proper training, mainly caused by funding cutbacks.

Scotland are managing it better, you can choose to have fortnightly payments if you want, and chose to have your rent paid direct to your landlord.
    Bot of those are options on the online claim form in Scotland, but you have to fight for them in England and Wales.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    There is not much inherently wrong with UC, the more you look into it the more sense it makes.

The monthly payments make sense, unless you are "working class" and get paid weekly.

What is wrong is the way UC is being administered by the DWP, many will know my view on that - Lack of proper training, mainly caused by funding cutbacks.

Scotland are managing it better, you can choose to have fortnightly payments if you want, and chose to have your rent paid direct to your landlord.
    Bot of those are options on the online claim form in Scotland, but you have to fight for them in England and Wales.
    That is totally bogus and unfair how can you have a completely different claim form set-up just for Scotland everyone should all get the same options and choices how and who wrote that into law. Th at have always had way better systems benefit, and healthcare. So if someone tried to complete their form for applying for Universal Credit it would block them ?