Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Universal credit: Amber Rudd to listen to expert guidance

ive used the calculators before , but since UC came out AND" local council tax reduction schemes" , there NOT reliable .
    and since this dredful local coucil tax reduction scheme , under "some" councils if your on UC you pay £0 but under" other" councils (even getting the same amounts of UC) you can pay £600 per year (very unfair) .
    claiments tend to ask there neighbours what rate of council tax there paying but a mile down the road a different council with its "own" rules may be sending out a very different amount to someone whos getting the same UC amounts.

yeah I am ignoring the council tax part of the calculator, for me I just used it to find out the following which should not be dependant on local council but instead national legislation.

UC base income, UC LCWRA income and housing costs element.

Unless the government change council tax back to national legislation, then the calculator will probably never be right on that part.

I have ended up pushing forward my application to be on a neighbouring council's housing list, even if it means I Am naturally migrated to UC as a result of moving, if I get a social property to rent I will be better off even if naturally migrated anyway.

I am lucky I have a local link for the neighbouring council, my current council dont let you on their list unless you already homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    yeah I am ignoring the council tax part of the calculator, for me I just used it to find out the following which should not be dependant on local council but instead national legislation.

UC base income, UC LCWRA income and housing costs element.

Unless the government change council tax back to national legislation, then the calculator will probably never be right on that part.

I have ended up pushing forward my application to be on a neighbouring council's housing list, even if it means I Am naturally migrated to UC as a result of moving, if I get a social property to rent I will be better off even if naturally migrated anyway.

I am lucky I have a local link for the neighbouring council, my current council dont let you on their list unless you already homeless.
    the UC rates and LWCRA are fairly standard , the LHA rates can be found by google "LHA RATES" and type in your postcode on the LHA site , if your in sheltered housing LHA rates can be a lot higher.
    i have recently turned 55 so have now got a over 55s flat from a housing association , but most councils now refuse to let you join there lists if your classed as already housed

Except it isnt that simple, there is confusion regarding people in my position (LHA exemption) and I had hoped using the calculator would give me some answers, well it gave me an answer except it might be the wrong one. Plus it adds everything up for you.

I get what you saying, if you willing to do all the looking up and manual calculations then there is no such need for a calculator, but not everyone is willing or able to do that.

as you say the council tax is best left out as its a lottery what figure the council will come up with , the other bits depend on what group your in of UC and LHA rates are better for over 35s , use to be over 25s.
    public sector rents are falling inline with LHA rates and LHA rates in the private sector are way to low in some areas to get a property , without putting some of your other income towards your rent
    Last edited by druid; 01-10-2019 at 07:35 PM.