Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal credit: Amber Rudd to listen to expert guidance

Nukecad - that is an interesting point
    I often see things on the news about the horrendous 'misdealings' and fraud that go on
    and companies owing millions in taxes
    then they take away my £22/week that pays for my taxis

because I am clearly a major criminal to the state

this year more than ever I have become even more afraid of it all, even writing this brings tears to my eyes

I realise I am being given money for 'doing nothing' (opinion of some I know - NOT a judgement on others)
    but honestly some days it is feeling like emotional blackmail and torture
    they are making people MORE unwell

I think the issue could be solved by making UC pay in advance instead of arrears, it would cost the government the amount of money it costs to pay everyone one month worth of benefits, but its probably the least painful way to make everyone happy about this first month issue of some people having no money, I say some people because not everyone on benefits has zero money in their account between payments. The issues been brought up tho are not new with UC.

As an example housing benefit has always been paid in arrears, yet rent is paid in advance so that has always had that problem.

The council tax help is also not a new issue, since council tax benefit got scrapped, the help you get is now a postcode lottery and each council has their own policies. When I was on CB ESA only, I was paying about £15 a month to my council tax, when I started getting the IR topup they reduced it back to £6 which is what I paid in the council tax benefit days. I have never ever had all my council tax paid.

part of the UC scheme was making people manage money better , monthly payments and having rent paid direct to claiments , i think a lot of the homeless people on the streets have had rent paid direct to them and its been spent on other things.
    then theres the online bit that some people struggle with .

most people on housing benefit already get their money paid direct to them, me included.

The problem with modern housing benefit when you rent privately is it usually no longer covers your entire rent, e.g. I have to subsidise my rent from my ESA, and thats even with transitional protection, if I didnt have that protection and was on LHA, I would need to pay almost £100 a month to my rent from ESA.

So it is a bit misleading when people think this rent direct to claimant is a new thing, currently only really vulnerable people on LHA have it paid direct to landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by worried33 View Post
    most people on housing benefit already get their money paid direct to them, me included.

The problem with modern housing benefit when you rent privately is it usually no longer covers your entire rent, e.g. I have to subsidise my rent from my ESA, and thats even with transitional protection, if I didnt have that protection and was on LHA, I would need to pay almost £100 a month to my rent from ESA.

So it is a bit misleading when people think this rent direct to claimant is a new thing, currently only really vulnerable people on LHA have it paid direct to landlord.
    yes i was renting private for years but always rented within the LHA rates for the area . on UC its called "housing costs" and if your in private UC go by the LHA rate for that postcode.
    also mobilehomes/caravans come under LHA rates on UC ware as under the old council run housing benefit system it was a very grey area , some councils didnt pay the LHA rate on mobilehomes but a lower amount i have spoke to the UC helpline and they confirm mobilehomes are now classed alongside bricks and mortar as far as the amounts they allow.
    as for direct payments of rent on UC it goes to ALL claiments now unless they have difficulty managing there money , before those in the public sector didnt see there housing benefit it went direct to council/housing associations.
    the good news for private landlords on UC is they can apply to UC for rent owed by a person leaving a property owing rent , this will be deducted from there UC , even if they no longer live at the address ware the money is owed.
    i often get told by agents that the landlord dosnt except dss as hes been "bumped" for the rent by dss claiments before , so im glad that those who pocket there rent rather than pay it to the landlord will pay for there actions rather than some innocent person looking for a home who gets turned down because of the landlords previous experiences with people on benefits.
    i expect there will be more cuts in local council offices now that the payment of rent is going online.
    online activity is much cheaper to run than having a physical "building" like a council rent office OR a JC.
    in ten years time i doubt you will be able to see any goverment official face to face.

I have met many people in mh services who just do not have the ability to manage their money unaided
    yes in an ideal world we should all take responsibility but many people cannot do it without support
    and GETTING that support is often impossible

re. private landlords and dss - it makes me angry that so many refuse to take people on benefits
    I am in housing assoc. but there were no private rentals available to me

my rent - currently - is covered by housing benefit
    although under UC, I think I will get less
    however because I am alone, it also means I have to live in a one bedroom property - no option, so there is no room for my adult children to all stay with me

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    I have met many people in mh services who just do not have the ability to manage their money unaided
    yes in an ideal world we should all take responsibility but many people cannot do it without support
    and GETTING that support is often impossible

re. private landlords and dss - it makes me angry that so many refuse to take people on benefits
    I am in housing assoc. but there were no private rentals available to me

my rent - currently - is covered by housing benefit
    although under UC, I think I will get less
    however because I am alone, it also means I have to live in a one bedroom property - no option, so there is no room for my adult children to all stay with me
    hi walker , under UC your "help with rent" will be the same as your getting now.

perhaps, druid, although each time I have put my details into the 'entitledto' benefits checker, it shows me as worse off

I guess time will tell

Walker, you need to remember that the benefits checkers give the figures for brand new claims.

They can't give you a correct figure for a migration from ESA, because they can't include the 'Transitional Addition'. (At least not yet).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Walker, you need to remember that the benefits checkers give the figures for brand new claims.

They can't give you a correct figure for a migration from ESA, because they can't include the 'Transitional Addition'. (At least not yet).
    on a totally different subject , if you GOOGLE "nukecad" there are 17K results AND your top of the list