Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESA CB + PIP and Premiums

Since you have been awarded the 2 bed local housing allowance can you explain why you have to apply for a DHP? Is your rent more than you 2 bed local housing allowance?

Trigger figures are not known to the public.

I suggest that you make a note of what you spend on each of the things you mention (do you have to complete a common financial statement?) and the ring the CAB advice line and ask them to check it.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...us/contact-us/
    I try my best

Hi pmlindyloo. Yes our rent is £600.00 per month. In September the council came to visit and re-assessed the bedroom enititlement. Originally £440 per month for 1 bed then increased to £563 for 2 bed. However after reviewing my ESA claim due to my husband moving back in with me the DWP stated that I was no longer entitled to IR ESA and it was now CB ESA. They said that this would be with effect from September 2018 and I have therefore been overpaid Housing Benefit and Council Tax. My new housing allowance is £260 per month and they want to collect £60 each month in respect of their overpayment which means we actually get paid £200 per month which is making things difficult. The council tax relief has also been affect but they are going to add the overpayment to the new bill due for April 2019/2020. I received full CTR but understand that with effect from April this will alter to a monthly amount of around £90.00.
    Is a common financial statement required by the Local Authority in order to determine financial hardship? My husband has also had heart complications in the last week on top of his terminal cancer diagnosis and life in general is pretty stressed at the moment.

Hi

I have been reviewing all your figures and I am not sure that even with the Carer's Premium you would be entitled to income based ESA as a couple. I have used various benefit calculators but it is difficult without seeing all your paperwork. I am sorry. They do suggest that you would receive more money as a couple with both of you retaining individual contribution based claims. But with income based ESA giving you automatic entitlement to HB it might be a close call.

What is important is that you don't lose your own ESA claim if you did apply for income based ESA as a couple.

You really do need to have someone do a benefit check with you when you receive your entitlement to the Carer's Premium.

Have you tried the national adviceline for CAB?

Are you 55+years old? If so the AgeUK do home visits and are very good. Due to your circumstances would it be worth asking if someone could come out from the Job Centre to do a benefits check for you (don't even know if this is possible?)

As regards the DHP do you have the form?

Don't worry about a financial statement at the moment just complete the form with reasons for your application. You have an overpayment for HB and CT (there may be another form for this) due to a change of circumstances and then explain those circumstances - your OH has terminal cancer/heart problems, he has moved in with you so that you can care for him and you are really struggling emotionally and financially. You should ask for the payment to cover the debt and also the ongoing 'top up' for your rent.

On a rather delicate note, are your finances being shared? Your total income between you is relatively OK. So, do you have lots of expenses associated with your OH's treatment? You could mention these if appropriate in your application for the DHP.

Sorry if the last paragraph was too intrusive.
    I try my best

Hi pmlindyloo

Received a letter to day to say I qualify for Carers allowance but not going to be paid it but have underlying entitlement to carer's premium. I am hoping that a carer's premium discount will now be applied to both HB and CTR? Can I ask what you mean by "it is important that you don't lose your own ESA claim if I applied for income based ESA as a couple"? I thought I could now contact DWP with this decision and have our benefit changed to Income Related which means full HB and full CTR - would we in fact be financially worse off if we were claiming Income Related ESA?

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to contact CAB adviceline or AGEUK due to my husband being very unwell the last week or so. Yes I am 55 and he is 61. We do share finances and a lot of the PIP pays for taxi fares to attend hospital appointments as we have no transport. Would you mind clarifying what you meant by being careful that I don't lose my own ESA claim if I did apply for income based ESA as a couple pmlindyloo?

Many thanks